Vermont Castings Radiance pilot light issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfievtec

Nov 15, 2015
PA
I have a Vermont Castings Radiance Propane Stove. RNV40. It's a "b" vent I believe. It's always been a little hard to start but this year I can't keep the pilot lit when I turn the knob to the "on" position. I just hear a click and it shuts off. The pilot seems to be giving out plenty of flame to touch the thermocouple. I cleaned everything out really good. Any idea's? Maybe a new thermocouple? Thanks! Youtube video below:

Check the wiring to & from that spill switch. I have seen this problem with the VC Radiance B-Vent units.
The sheathing gets brittle & the copper core grounds to the stove body.
Simply replacing the wiring with 18 gage t-stat wire corrects the issue.
Report back & let us know how you make out.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Thanks Bob, tonight I replaced the wiring to the spill switch. The old sheathing was breaking up so I thought I'd change them to be sure. Same issue. I'm assuming the spill switch should be normally closed correct?

One more question, now my igniter isn't working so great, probably because I'm using it too much. Do I need to replace the push button part or the piece that sits next to the pilot light? Which one usually goes bad or both? Thanks.

UPDATE: I replaced the thermocoupler and now it stays on! My issue now is that the pilot light is very low... may be a pressure issue? I'm wondering what I should clean?

Isn't there a pilot adjustment screw on the front of the gas valve?
Adjust the pilot to the thermopile by using a millivolt tester on the TP & TH-TP (or TP-TH) terminals.
I try to set the pilot to 525mV +/- 25mV. Sometimes you can only get it to the high 400s, tho.
As long as you are in that area, you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.