vermont castings resolute 1980 wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the front of the stove bottom left-hand corner there's a standard screwdriver slot that looks like an adjustment for something what is it and how do I use it ? Second thing was on the left side of the stove there's a small hole that is covered by a swinging peice if cast iron . What is this for and how do I use it ?

The screw on the bottom left corner is likely the screw that is for the coal conversion kit. It's not an adjustment. It is replaced with one with a hole in it and the mechanism for the coal shaker goes through it. Leave it sealed off for wood burning. The flap on the left side towards the back is for secondary air to help burn the exhaust gases. You use it once you've established a fire and you are burning with the stove running in side burn mode.

dj

Thanks for all the info. One more question. After I've established a fire and close the exhaust damper do I close the adjustable intake in the back and only use the inlet hole on the side or use them both together

After you close the exhaust damper you use both the small secondary air inlet along with the thermostatically controlled air-intake. The thermostatically controlled air-intake is really the main control. You will find over time how to use the small secondary flap.. On mine, I just left it open all the time. Sometimes I closed it when starting a fire... But that all depends upon your draft and the wood you are burning... For me, I never found it a big deal, I just left it open...

dj

Status
Not open for further replies.