vermont castings resolute on craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1979 stove takes a very keen eye to determine its condition, all joints are refractory joints. I don't believe you could get a permit to install it in your state

I would be very careful purchasing that stove Many internal parts could be warped just normal 26 years of usage Some could be very hard to find replacements for
Not many manufactures stock 26 year old parts That model had 4 major revisions sine it was manufactured Along the way many internal steel plates were substituted by refractory setups and may not retrofit into that stove because they were made for newer models. I would not purchase the stove if I were not planning to do a complete rebuild, which it probably is needed

Money would be better spent on a new Englander or Century stove.

Its probably doubtful that its a 1979 model. Isn't that the year that's cast into the fireback over the shell? Someone probably just guessing.

Most likely it's a 1983-1985 Model, judging by the doors and the lack of a air control on the left hand side. Some parts are still available for it, but the list of what VC still carries on that unit is getting shorter. $600.00 seems a bit overpriced for something you will need $400.00 of work to get it up to snuff.

elkimmeg said:
1979 stove takes a very keen eye to determine its condition, all joints are refractory joints. I don't believe you could get a permit to install it in your state

I would be very careful purchasing that stove Many internal parts could be warped just normal 26 years of usage Some could be very hard to find replacements for
Not many manufactures stock 26 year old parts That model had 4 major revisions sine it was manufactured Along the way many internal steel plates were substituted by refractory setups and may not retrofit into that stove because they were made for newer models. I would not purchase the stove if I were not planning to do a complete rebuild, which it probably is needed

Money would be better spent on a new Englander or Century stove.

Elk,

The same Centrury I have, from Lowes?

Not to change the direction of a thread- Sorry in advance.

CFM 24007

Bob

Thanks guys, I'm going to pass, I didn't know how much these older cast iron stoves required. Plus it is smaller than I need. Only other VC I've seen was a Aspen. Way too small but it was 1 year old and sold for $250.00. There is a Jotul 3CB for $600.00 2 years old that has been listed for 2 weeks but also too small. roben.

Aspen was considered to be not too good of a stove....

Yes, Corie is correct about date cast into fireback - that is the date the stove was designed! The Resolute was one of the better models VC made, and it had almost no problems (the older ones).....and, parts are available through many secondary sources including Woodmans and Black Swan (and others).

Still, it is NOT a clean burner - not even for the time. Unless run at fairly high rates into a strong chimney, it may be a smoke dragon.

Thanks I already have a smoke dragon don't need another. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and get a brand new stove. roben.

Status
Not open for further replies.