• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

michaelrosengarten

Jan 2, 2022
USA
We have a new stove that was converted to LP from NG.
The flue is vertical and about 11 feet high. The manual indicates the restrictor plate has to be placed, but the manual is very unclear and I am not sure the dealer is aware of how to set the restrictor. Has anyone figured out how to set the restrictor?
Also the manual indicates that the flame should be blue during the first 15-20 minutes of operation, and will gradually turn to yellow after that. Ours is briefly blue with a yellow top and then immediately turns yellow. Is this related to the air mixing? Should it be adjusted.
A nice stove but flawed manual.

Based on my experience with gas stoves, I don't think you need the restrictor with 11' of venting.
As far as your flame presentation goes, it's kinda hard to tell without seeing the flames.
The factory air shutter setting is at 1/2" open, & according to the manual, that setting
works for BOTH NG & LP. As long as your flame are not orange with blackish tips,
you should be good to go.

Based on my experience with gas stoves, I don't think you need the restrictor with 11' of venting.
As far as your flame presentation goes, it's kinda hard to tell without seeing the flames.
The factory air shutter setting is at 1/2" open, & according to the manual, that setting
works for BOTH NG & LP. As long as your flame are not orange with blackish tips,
you should be good to go.
thanks so much for the reply. The stove is working well as is. This said, if you look at the graph attached I am the red X which suggests the need for restriction. The major problem is the table that indicates how to set the plate which does not make any sense to me. Further the images of the restrictor on the parts diagram for the IFI version that we have is completely different from the plate supplied.
I suppose in the end the adjustment is more of an art than a science. Thanks again.
Mike

table.gif