vermont castings two in one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjkjoseph

Mar 31, 2008
long island
has anybody seen one operating...is the quality any better? i got burned by v.c. in the past...but i still like the look of these stoves..and i don't hold grudges....too long..i hope this stove doesn't suck.

There is a lengthly thread on the new 2in1 VC stoves from last burning season - if you do a search you will find it. From what I read in those posts, VC may be on the upswing.

However - there are other worthy stoves to consider.

I like the looks of the Jotul F500 and F600 woodstoves. They look a lot like the Defiant and Encore woodstoves and are dead solid reliable - super great stoves.

Soapstone stoves are very easy on the eyes too. I have a Woodstock Keystone and really like it. Woodstock has other models and have a new hybrid stove that is both cat and secondary at the same time. Should be a very clean burning stove.

Hearthstone makes a realy nice looking woodstove.

If you want the simplicity of an all steel stove that looks like a cast iron stove, Pacific Energy makes a super stove called the Alderlea. The two most posted on this forum are the T6 and T5. These are convection stoves and have a cast iron jacket over what amounts to a steel stove.

Another nice looking stove with optional cast iron jackets, but with top loading and reversible flue collar is the Jotul Rangeley.

Good luck,
Bill

Still having problems with that Fireview? I heard the 2 in 1 has a more stout refractory package than past stoves and you can burn it in either the cat or non cat mode. I don't think I'd buy one til I saw more reviews in the next couple years.

We puchased a 2 in 1 last season and burned in non cat mode because our wood supply wasn't as seasoned as we'd like. It worked very well and heated the house just fine. This year we'll put in the cat. I'm looking forward to see what a difference it will make. After I get the hang of it I'll post the results.

shoobie said:
We puchased a 2 in 1 last season and burned in non cat mode because our wood supply wasn't as seasoned as we'd like. It worked very well and heated the house just fine. This year we'll put in the cat. I'm looking forward to see what a difference it will make. After I get the hang of it I'll post the results.

Thats not fair non-cat stoves like dry wood too.

LOL

we burned 2n1 Encore on display in the shop. Works great, alot cleaner glass than VC ever thought of in the past. The rear chamber is made of refractory cement instead of molded ceramic fiber: it's alot more stout than previous VC models. CAT installs/uninstalls easilly. I was initially worried about banging the refractory brick cover that the CAT is accesed thru, and breaking it.. but it is hard as a firebrick and withstood alot of willy nilly woodloading from our employees and customers trying it out. As with previous versions of the Encore, I wish the load area was a little larger: the damper/upper fireback kinda hangs in the way of that last big split going in on the top, just like with all other versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.