Vermont Castings Vigilant 8" to 6"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Clark

Dec 1, 2013
Shelburne Falls, MA
I have an opportunity to buy a Vigilant wood stove for a good price. I am heating roughly 1000 sq ft open plan living space with an old Upland 27, with 6 ft. of stove pipe above, 6" diameter going into a 6" double wall. The double wall is straight through the roof and extends another 9'. It's a minimum set-up of 15'. The draft is very good, believe it or not. The Upland is just a little too small to get much heat out of. I have managed with it, however. It burns very well. I just stoke it sometimes in the middle of the night.

My question is this: If I got a Vigilant to heat the space, could I get away with the 6" set-up? And would the smoke issues of the Vigilant (I have read about back draft of smoke) be an even bigger problem for me? It's a lot of moving heavy metal around if it isn't going to work. So I thought I would check first, to see what folks had to say. I have gotten advice from wood stove vendors from "it's not rated for 6", don't do it" ...to "not to worry, you'll be fine." Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am no expert but that sounds like a bad idea to me.

If the manual says 8 inches....and you don't want problems....don't do it.

I ran a Vigilant with a 6" liner in an 18-20' chimney. Never had spillage, never had back puffing, and it ran like a champ for me. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.