Vermont castings vigilant question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

94ranger55

Sep 11, 2008
New Hampshire SeaCoast
Hello all...this is my second year running the ole smoke dragon and was wondering how exactly to opperate the the (eye) that is located on the left side of the stove? I have always left it closed? Also after re reading my manual ....should I remove the inner section of cast iron to inspect the baffels ? Any reccomandations or suggestions would be greatly apprecitaed ..thanks

The opening to the left of the stove is the inlet for the secondary air. It is supposed to be open whenever the bypass damper is closed. I leave mine open all the time except if I am burning with the bypass open (updraft mode) I sometimes close it part way to help prevent an overfire.

I just got mine last year. It was in real good condition and I don't think the previous owner used it for much more than a fireplace for the whole time he owned it. I don't think there was much of anything behind the fireback, but I ran my shop vac in reverse to blow out the passages. A lot of fly ash came out is all. Any creosote that was back there is long gone now because I have to run mine pretty hot since it is in the basement.

I have the rebuild manual for the stove in digital form, if you need it just e-mail me and I will attach it with my response.

Last year, 5 1/2 - 6 full cord of good hardwood between early November and late April. I heat the whole house as well, stays at close to 72º night and day. Some would prefer it hotter, but that's about all I can coax out of the old gal without risking damage. My old stove only burned 3 1/2-4 cord on the average for 18 years, but it didn't get it as warm in here (68º). My entire utility bill for Jan 2010 was $65. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.