Vermont Castings Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
Looking at buying a used Vigilant (not Vigilant II). Don't know the build date. What are some of the differences in these models over the years? What should I look out for?

JonofSunderland,thehomeofBub'sBBQ- It's an old design, pre-EPA, originally from the 70's. That means less efficient, smokier, etc. than newer stoves, but many were made and they can really heat. Check local regs to see if you can install a non-EPA unit. Check for signs of overfiring, look at seals. They have a lever damper on the side that should operate, as well (IIRC) as an air intake in the back. Get pics for us inside and out, as well as the flue connection.

They started making them wood/coal able in the mid 80's. I think that's the unit my dad had, but we never put in the coal grates. Recently VC has gone through troubles, and was bought out.

You can usually identify from here:
http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm

There were solid door models first, then some with glass panels........then some changes in the casting to make the furnace cement less visible......

then there was a coal/wood one (grates, but no separate ash pan door)....

and now the II, which is coal only and has a separate ash door.

I have a 1977 Vigilant model. Works great. I get up to seven and a half hours burn time on it. It is not as efficient as a new stove, but if you are looking to keep your initial costs down, it seems to be a pretty good solution.

If you will be using it nearly 24/7 during the winter you will need 4-6 cords of wood, maybe seven.

Right now it is 35 degrees out and it is 75 in the portion of the house that has the stove. The stove is the best purchase I have made since moving into the farmhouse.

Actually I don't have one in particular I'm looking at, but there's a bunch of them for sale on Craigslist for around $500 and it'd satisfy me for a winter or two while I save up for a new stove. I didn't realize they weren't made after 1988. I thought they were made with some sort of pre-Everburn secondary combustion for a while. I'll probably pass for now...

JonOfSunderland said:
Actually I don't have one in particular I'm looking at, but there's a bunch of them for sale on Craigslist for around $500 and it'd satisfy me for a winter or two while I save up for a new stove. I didn't realize they weren't made after 1988. I thought they were made with some sort of pre-Everburn secondary combustion for a while. I'll probably pass for now...

That's exactly what I did. I got mine for $400 with the plan of buying a new and more efficient stove. This is my first year with a stove and so far it works great. A full load of wood will burn for over seven hours. Good luck.

Jon I sold mine 2 1/2 seasons ago and I would never even remotely think of using one again. I installed a larger soapstone stove (Hearthstone Mansfield) and it is night and day different to operate and is light years ahead of the Vigilant in performance and efficiency.

I know you do not want to spend the money on a newer stove but keep in mind the Vigilant runs on a minimum 8" pipe and almost all newer stoves use 6".

I use at least a third less wood with the newer stove. It burns so much cleaner it is just amazing to me. Also You will never see the fire in a Vigilant after the first load of wood as the windows will turn black.

Keep in mind I totally rebuilt my Vigilant as well and while it improved how it worked it still is so out of the league of the newer stove.

Parts are getting very expensive as well with the Vigilants as well.

Look for a newer epa approved steel plate stove if you want to save some coin until you can go to exactly what you want later on. Older stoves will cost you more than a newer one in two years time in what it saves you on time just burning the extra wood they take.

Status
Not open for further replies.