Vermont Castings Winter Warm decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I have used a 28000 old buck for the last 8 yrs. I have to opportunity to get a Vermont Castings very cheap.
Don't know the insert at all. Is it a cat? If it is do I need to use the cat? Will it reduce my wood usage? Is it a good insert? Thx

The winter warm is a parts cobbling money pit! Don't do it! Yes it's a cat unit and will be very costly to maintain.

Reactions: Tech Guru
I have been servicing V.C. products for 30 years. I'll work on anything they've ever made, EXCEPT the Winter Warms. I just refuse. They are extremely problematic.

Reactions: webby3650
We still service about 4 winter warms. We hope and pray they will decide to buy something different everytime we go see them! The average service call ends up being $500-$1200...

Agreed with sentiments here, when they work ideally there are a pretty boss system, but they are very parts heavy and tricky as anything to work on. Also, could only work on an 8" liner, which pretty much eliminates any flue smaller than a 12 x 12 for potential installation locations. Cat would be needed for best efficiency and run times. But one thing with a part eating stove - as these have been discontinued for about 8 years (Mid 2008 for the WW Large) it means that many of the parts will be allowed to deplete and there may be factory parts availability issues within a few years. Fan system was weak at best, although the ash system is a nice plus for an insert.

Thank you all for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.