Vermont Castings WinterWarm Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Science and Energy

Aug 3, 2015
NW PA
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I got 2 Large Vermont Castings WinterWarm inserts, stainless chimney pipe, and an energy cabinet. The energy cabinet is what the insert is installed in when no fireplace is existing. I drove 3 hours to get the cabinet and put all three in my workshop till I had time to work on it. I intend to have one well working unit with extra parts.

Months went by and now I am ready to work on it. I’d like to install it before this winter. When reviewing the literature for the insert and how to install the cabinet I noticed an “elevated base” that an optional blower can be installed on.

Herein lies the trouble. I don’t have the base pictured in the literature. I can’t even find pictures of it online (not a drawing). I don’t know if the entire base is optional or just the blower. I could make a base in my shop that looks like the one in the picture. The drawing is here: http://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=2110

I no longer have the contact information of the seller.

I am hoping someone here has experience with this unit and can tell me if the base is optional.

Thanks
Cabinet with Base.png

Welcome. I don't know the answer but it's good to figure this out. The base may also serve as a heatshield and change hearth requirements.

I would strongly recommend looking at some reviews of that insert before spending any more time or money on it. They are very problematic units

Reactions: webby3650
Do you have the manual? It seems to indicate that the cabinet blower is optional though recommended for room circulation. There should also be blowers in the side columns that appear to be standard.

I can't remember for sure, but I think they referred to that part as a plinth? There are tons of parts, hope you have all the surround pieces. From what I've been told by users, the cabinet blower is absolutely useless but the blower on the stove does well.
I agree with what bhollar said, this entire system wasn't well loved. The stove itself is a very parts heavy, high maintenance, high cost to operate unit. When I see a Winterwarm on my schedule I honestly consider calling in sick! Lol

Reactions: bholler
Yes, That Base is/was part of the energy cabinet system. If you posted pics of the unit, and it is installed with the cast iron plinth below the standard insert front, it would be reasonable to assume it is there, as without it, you'd end up with gaps above the insert into the cabinet. The plinth has to be removed to see that internal support for the actual unit itself.
upload_2016-5-13_10-55-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-13_11-3-58.png
    upload_2016-5-13_11-3-58.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: begreen
Welcome. I don't know the answer but it's good to figure this out. The base may also serve as a heatshield and change hearth requirements.

I think your right, I had suspected it functioned as a means to insulate the floor from the hearth. I also suspect that some 3/16 steel sitting on spaced rows of fire brick (or even steel tubes as pictured) all residing on an insulator sheet would work as well.

More information would be better help my decision making. I hope someone here has some experience with this equipment.

Sorry, I didn't see all the posts when the page loaded the first time.

I do have the manual, I think the blower is optional but the base isn't.

I have 2 or 3 plinth sets. All are removed from the two units. Neither hearth is in the cabinet which is being stored separately. I know the base isn't here. The only thing under the hearth is the swing out ash pan area.

I have heard mixed reviews about the units. Some seam to love them, others don't. I have what I have and will need to work with that. I have already invested too much to consider starting over due to some bad reviews. Overall I am optimistic about them from what I have read (which is not the entire internet so I am no expert).

I think your right, I had suspected it functioned as a means to insulate the floor from the hearth. I also suspect that some 3/16 steel sitting on spaced rows of fire brick (or even steel tubes as pictured) all residing on an insulator sheet would work as well.

More information would be better help my decision making. I hope someone here has some experience with this equipment.
Without all the factory parts I wouldn't trust it. There's no way insurance would pay out if you had an event. These are listed and tested systems, without all the parts to make it work properly and safely you might be out of luck? This is a very old system that wasn't all that common, that's why few have experience installing them. The ones that do have likely retired. Lol

Reactions: bholler
I second what webby said. This is a system and all of the original parts need to be there to meet code. You may be able to fabricate something that would be safe but your insurance company wont care if something happens they will want it to be installed according to the manufacturers instructions.

It is two parallel sheets of steel welded together a distance apart with steel separating/supporting them. The height is known from the gap. Its not an overly complicated situation. More than one part is not missing.

It would not be difficult to make something that would perform as well or better than the original. It is simply an insulating air-gap/support below the hearth. I am not talking about a more sophisticated component or more than one.

Thanks for the warning, your concern is heard but not shared by myself.

It would not be difficult to make something that would perform as well or better than the original. It is simply an insulating air-gap/support below the hearth. I am not talking about a more sophisticated component or more than one.
I understand and agree with that but that does not mean you insurance company will if anything goes wrong even if it had nothing to do with that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.