Vermont castings WMC36 fireplace issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan03

Dec 8, 2007
NE Ohio
Hello all, this is my first post as I am new to the forum. The firebrick rear liner in my 2.5 year old wood fireplace insert exploded the night before last, it now has a section the size of the average grown mans hand missing from it, as well as spider web cracking all throughout it. We typicaly have 20 or so fires a winter, for 4 or so hours at a time, and have only burned maple, ash, and an occasional locust log. To say that we have had 50 fires total in it would be a stretch. We contacted the general contractor who built our home, who refered us to the mason who installed our fireplace, his response , was that this is normal for an insert fireplace to go through a full set of firebrick in 2 years, I think it is BS. I know that the warranty period covers the fire brick liners for 2 years, but the amount of deterioration seems extreme to me, as well as the fact that only one is showing cracks and peices missing. I am hoping that some owners of similar products will post and tell me if their experiences have been the same and this is in fact normal or if this panel sounds as though it may be defective. Thank you, sincerely, Ryan Exum

Hi Ryan,

There was a recent post this week about a VC liner problem in a stove (not fipple) that was fairly young. It could be a factory fault or just a bad install. I had a VC Z-can years back and used it often, it didn't throw out much heat but I didn't have any problems with the liners or brick. I would definitiely follow up and let VC know of your problems directly.

Years back I had a problem with a cast on my boiler which was only 2 years old... turned out it was a factory defect and I got full satisfaction. Sometimes it takes a while for these problems to appear.

Good luck!

I have the big brother to that fireplace, my back panel has cracks but doesn't seem to be in danger of "exploding". In the prefab I replaced with the Ultima, I burned maybe 5-6 cords a year for 2 years and the panels mostly held up. So I'd agree it sounds defective but that's not going to help you any.

Call VC direct. Sounds like a warranty issue to me. I've seen those refractory panels hold up in Majestic and other brands for 15+ years. You can also repair your refractory with refractory cement until the replacement comes. Also if the mason is the one who sold you the unit and is refusing the warranty service let VC know about that too. If the mason bought it from someone else then contact that dealer and try to get a new one that way.

I will contact VC tomorrow, here is a picture of the rear liner, sorry for the poor quality, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the extent of the damage. I will keep everyone updated on how I make out.
firebrick.jpg

Attachments

• fire brick.jpg
    fire brick.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.