vermont monpelliar/ fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stateguy

Dec 27, 2012
I was wondering if i am not running the fan when the fire is 400-600 degrees am i doing harm to the stove.
How hard is it to change the fan on this type of stove

I dont think you're doing any harm. I once 'forgot' to turn it back on after fully loading the stove with oak for the overnight. For some reason, all the brick was a bit warmer than usual....

Are you having issues with noise/ vibration? Cleaning is fairly straightforward.
  • Unplug the unit!
  • The ash lip/ door assembly comes off with 2 screws.
  • The fan assembly another 2 screws. My hearth is raised a tiny bit above the fireplace, so I needed to lift the front of my stove up about 1/4". This allowed the fan to slide out freely.
  • Disconnect the 2 wires from the snap disk.
  • Remove the 2 end covers and clean them
  • Remove the spring clamps that hold the squirrel cages in
  • Remove fans
  • clean fans
  • Vacuum where you can
  • Add a touch of light household oil where the spindles enter the motor/ bearings.
  • Assembly is the reverse.

If you want to check your handy work, the 2 wires on the fan that used to connect to the snap disk can be connected to each other. This bypasses the snap disk. The fan will always work now. Plug the fan in, and turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.