Vermont Pellets; New Favorite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
Burned 4 bags of Vermont this past week. Very hot (no numbers), cleanest, least ash pellet I've burned yet. And yes, best smelling pellet for those that matter :)
Put this year's Spruce Pointes to shame in the ash category. Similar heat.

If I can get these down to 250 or under this spring, I will add at least 2 ton to the stash.

Also looking to see if MWP puts out any all softwood again to try out. I heard similar raves about the trial batch this year.

edit: No scientific reasons on this, just real world stove output for me

gbreda said:
Burned 4 bags of Vermont this past week. Very hot (no numbers), cleanest, least ash pellet I've burned yet. And yes, best smelling pellet for those that matter :)
Put this year's Spruce Pointes to shame in the ash category. Similar heat.

If I can get these down to 250 or under this spring, I will add at least 2 ton to the stash.

Also looking to see if MWP puts out any all softwood again to try out. I heard similar raves about the trial batch this year.

edit: No scientific reasons on this, just real wold stove output for me

I thought you would like those. I will also be in the market for 1 or 2 tons this spring. Have to keep an eye on H & H for them to have stock & maybe a spring sale ;-)

Yeah, those are some bad mama jamas. Also seeing if Great Works Biofuel in Berwick might be able to pick them up. Maybe he can get a better price, but it may be too late for this spring.

NHPltBrnr said:
Shhhhhhh!

They're hard enough to get as it is.

Your right.This fall i had to put my name on a list to get em.

Can't see standing in line for a pellet from a company that can't produce. Okanagans are about as good as they get and they're readily available. Why would a dealer want to sell something they can't get enough of for their customer base. I'd rather be selling and making money than waiting and dreaming about it.

I love the Vermont Pellets. I will end the winter burning just under 2.5 tons with about 65/70% Vermont pellets. The pro's are the high BTU's and VERY low ash. Being a first year newbie I had to go out and get all the other pellet brands to try out and I learned a lot about the incredible difference that exists between pellet brands. I loved the low prices that My local HD had on some of them, but in the end I could tell the difference....lower heat and more ash. But because of my square footage and the fact that my M55 has a small ash tray , the other pellets just don't cut it! The negative with the Vermont Pellets is the price! $275. Per ton during the winter. I think that being a local product the price should be quite a bit less. Even the off season price of $240/$250 a ton is too high but then I guess you get what you pay for axiom comes into play. I do like the fact that my support helps the local economy! Enjoy the Vermont pellets and if you haven't tried them please consider them if lower BTU's and high ash are an issue. Bill

I wanted to try them because I'd like to buy a superior pellet from a US company, but it became such a PIA to even find out who deals them,never mind who has them. I just get Okanagan from a dealer 10 minutes down the street. This world's best kept secret regarding pellets and who has them is for the birds. The dealers should be advertising openly what they have. What are they afraid of...Sales?

They are awesome, and smell great!! MY local supplier is pricey so I buy them as a special treat to myself, but softwood in general I prefer over hardwood.

They will definitely be my next season cold weather pellet! They were the only pellet I tried this year that me me say WOW! My stove likey like 'em.

Ejectr said:
I wanted to try them because I'd like to buy a superior pellet from a US company, but it became such a PIA to even find out who deals them,never mind who has them. I just get Okanagan from a dealer 10 minutes down the street. This world's best kept secret regarding pellets and who has them is for the birds. The dealers should be advertising openly what they have. What are they afraid of...Sales?

Amen, brother. But want to stay local if at all possible. Hopefully MWP softies will help fill that hole.

j-takeman said:
gbreda said:

Gots to go with your stove. If she likes em? You must feed her what she wants! ;-)

Stove likes em.....wallet doesnt. As others have mentioned, they are expensive if you can get them. 148.50 for half ton and I think 275-285ish for a ton. Too much for me.
Favorites so far, yes. Cant justify them at the price. Maybe a spring buy but the local dealer wont give up the beans about that right now.

I spoke with my regular pellet house today. He tried to get them for this season but sounds like another dealer-manufacture politics may have played a role in stopping that. Who knows, maybe they just couldnt deliver. Too bad for me is what I say.

I am looking forward to trying some MWP softies. I am hearing that they outperform the Spruce for less $$; and they are a local company. All win win in my book if they produce.
There is always another lurker looking to knock off the top pellet, and sometimes price makes that call. :)

We will see what Spring Buys bring us!!

gbreda said:
Ejectr said:

Amen, brother. But want to stay local if at all possible. Hopefully MWP softies will help fill that hole.

j-takeman said:
gbreda said:

Gots to go with your stove. If she likes em? You must feed her what she wants! ;-)

Stove likes em.....wallet doesnt. As others have mentioned, they are expensive if you can get them. 148.50 for half ton and I think 275-285ish for a ton. Too much for me.
Favorites so far, yes. Cant justify them at the price. Maybe a spring buy but the local dealer wont give up the beans about that right now.

I spoke with my regular pellet house today. He tried to get them for this season but sounds like another dealer-manufacture politics may have played a role in stopping that. Who knows, maybe they just couldnt deliver. Too bad for me is what I say.

I am looking forward to trying some MWP softies. I am hearing that they outperform the Spruce for less $$; and they are a local company. All win win in my book if they produce.
There is always another lurker looking to knock off the top pellet, and sometimes price makes that call. :)

We will see what Spring Buys bring us!!

I have burned many of the MWP batches. Pretty pleased with them. Could be a tick hotter and they would really stand out. Sem to be the best bang for the buck for me in my area. I am still trying out the other compatition. But for $214/ton they are the most affordable.

I don't need to get any heater pellets, as I didn't burn but 4 bags of the stash. But I'm about out of shoulders, So I am only focused on those. Keep beating the bushes, You might find an affordable replacement for the Sprucies or VMP's. But the softies word is out and peeps are begging for them. So the prices have taken a push from most dealers. Might need to look at the hardwoods for the heaters due to pricing?

j-takeman said:
[

I don't need to get any heater pellets, as I didn't burn but 4 bags of the stash. But I'm about out of shoulders, So I am only focused on those. Keep beating the bushes, You might find an affordable replacement for the Sprucies or VMP's. But the softies word is out and peeps are begging for them. So the prices have taken a push from most dealers. Might need to look at the hardwoods for the heaters due to pricing?

Jay, have you burned any MWP softies? If so, how were they? I burned 20 bags of the mix this year and my GF burned 1.5 ton. Great shoulder for me, really good for her all winter due to less heating area.

edit: trying some of this years GT right now for hardwood. Good heat, but Lowes still wants 265/ton. Still not a Spruce replacement.

stellep said:
Yo naehring2000, where are you getting them on the No Show. TIA.

Home and Hearth in Hampton Falls, NH $280/ ton as of a month ago.

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:
[

Jay, have you burned any MWP softies? If so, how were they? I burned 20 bags of the mix this year and my GF burned 1.5 ton. Great shoulder for me, really good for her all winter due to less heating area.

edit: trying some of this years GT right now for hardwood. Good heat, but Lowes still wants 265/ton. Still not a Spruce replacement.

My local dealer only recieved a limited supply and By the time I found out they had some. I couldn't purchase by the bag. So I didn't get to test them. But from what I gather they could be really nice pellet. But no first hand experiance on my end. Maybe next fall if they do a run, I might get to sample them?

Ejectr said:
Can't see standing in line for a pellet from a company that can't produce. Okanagans are about as good as they get and they're readily available. Why would a dealer want to sell something they can't get enough of for their customer base. I'd rather be selling and making money than waiting and dreaming about it.

I go right to the mill for them..It's a small company though and last year there was a large demand for them.Also don't know about your area but here in the hicks there isn't a big choice.Never seen okies around here.One dealer was selliing clear choice and wanted $312 a ton.The other common one is lignetics blue label and those were $299 a ton delivered.

I've used the Vermont Pellets for 2 seasons now. So far they are the best I've tried. And HALF the ash of Lignetics (which I used before the Vermont Pellets). Worked good in my Big-E I used to have and my Harmon P68 that I use now. I'll use them next year as well. Lucky I only live 5 miles from the plant! Very nice people that run the plant. They seem to care how they burn.

Tom

urkiddin said:
Ejectr said:

I go right to the mill for them..It's a small company though and last year there was a large demand for them.Also don't know about your area but here in the hicks there isn't a big choice.Never seen okies around here.One dealer was selliing clear choice and wanted $312 a ton.The other common one is lignetics blue label and those were $299 a ton delivered.

If I could go right to the mill for them, I'd probably buy them, too. Don't know where you live "near the VT border", but I used to live 400 feet from the Halifax, VT border in Colrain, MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.