Vermont Softwood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretch_024

Apr 14, 2013
Southern Maine
I have a chance to split a ton of Vermont Softwood pellets $300 for the ton. I have enough pellets stashed to make the winter but I have heard so many good things about these pellets I'm kinda wanna try them. Thoughts? Are they worth a try?

Vermont's are a top quality pellet. after reading your signature ...A Harman will burn anything. Take your $150 and apply it to a cheap pellet.

IMHO .. your car burns "regular gas" Is "premium gas " worth the extra $$?

Last edited:
They're $279 a ton at Fallon's in Hampton. Try some if you want but I don't know if I'd spend $150 for half a ton if I was running a Harman. I bought a ton last week but I need a hot pellet since my stove is a little small. Ash is pretty low and they don't seem to have as many fines as the ton I bought last year. Good pellet.....two thumbs up.

Used them last year and loved them. Blew away the other brands I sampled, so I bought again this year, and definitely burn dirtier than last. Still burn hot, burn longer than a lot of other softwoods, but much more ash build up and snootier than last year. I find the Lacretes burn better, cleaner and hotter, but not as long a burn time. The Vermonts still blow away the cheap stuff though, and definitely stay clear of New Englands. Horrid. I have a Harman as well, and the thing can be fed dog food if you want. But I will not feed it New Englands.

Dog food? Well then I guess the brand of choice would be Stove Chow. Dat Dat Tshhhhhh ;)

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Used them last year and loved them. Blew away the other brands I sampled, so I bought again this year, and definitely burn dirtier than last. Still burn hot, burn longer than a lot of other softwoods, but much more ash build up and snootier than last year. I find the Lacretes burn better, cleaner and hotter, but not as long a burn time. The Vermonts still blow away the cheap stuff though, and definitely stay clear of New Englands. Horrid. I have a Harman as well, and the thing can be fed dog food if you want. But I will not feed it New Englands.
I went with the Vermont's this year after being (literally) blown away with them last year. I have also noticed that they are dirtier than last year. Don't get me wrong, they are still hot but I've actually seen a few clinkers this year. Didn't see one last year. I also bought mine at Home and Hearth for $279 a ton.

I went with the Vermont's this year after being (literally) blown away with them last year. I have also noticed that they are dirtier than last year. Don't get me wrong, they are still hot but I've actually seen a few clinkers this year. Didn't see one last year. I also bought mine at Home and Hearth for $279 a ton.

I am burning them also This year.....so far just as good as last

Can you split the ton 40/10? If you already have this years stash, just getting the 10 bags will give you first hand knowledge of how they burn AND curb your intrigue.

VT's are impossible to find in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.