Vermont softwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
local dealer has them for 245/ton.......anyone think this is a good price for this pellet?.......not familiar with this pellet but hear alot of good things about them

Never heard of em.
I would ask if he'll sell ya 5 bags & test em.
Softwoods should give you a little more BTU/lb,
but ya wanna see what the fly ash & clinkers (if any) are like.

Hey hemi, Hows the summer going?

I burned a test sample for BT Ent. last year. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51871/P22/#602652

The pellets are made from hole logs and are chipped before they pelletize them. This is good because they don't have to worry about a fiber source like some other pellet mills. But there is one drawback. You don't get a dense pellet like a saw dust pellet. So you loose a little heat. I found the same thing with the Rockies. Other than that they are very clean burning and are a super Premium grade. Hopefully they will figure out how to increase the density and get the heat up there with the big dogs.

With BT having some killer deals on the Cubex, Northern and Hamers for $235/ton. Spruce Pointes for $240/ton and Barefoots and Okies for $250/ton. I leaned toward the Cubex. More heat and about the same ash. Its hard to pass on any of these.

One thing I always suggest, Is to make sure you try some before the big purchase. I plan an getting some more of the VWP and retest to see if they have improved the density later this season. If you do try some please post how they did for you?

hey Jay....summer is great, hope your is too. I will surely try a few bags before the purchase of a ton, Bt does have some good prices, I think im narrowed down to 2 ton cubex, 1 ton oakie, and either the spruce pointe or vermonts..........could easily go with 4 ton of the same but i gotta have some variety in my diet....hahahahaha

As with many pellet stoves they produce different results with the same pellet. I would try some. I have used them and they had little ash, and high heat. Around here earlier in the year they were about $229 per ton. The company is expanding and make a good pellet in my oppinion. They appear to have developed the company the right way. Develop a good product then grow the company.

We have had some dealers in the recent past come and go very quickly and leave with law suites pending. Suites they couldn't afford to pay. As mentioned in an earlier post pellet users get used to a brand and stay with it if the price is right like Cubex.

This company appears to be well run and should be around for some time given the growth in this area with pellet usage. The cost of oil last time I checked was about $2.70 per gallon. The good thing about this forum is you usually get an honest opinion yet not always right opinion. It does provide good reference and ducumentation.

They have been willing to give some bags out for testing so I would test them like mentioned by an earlier post.

HEMI said:
hey Jay....summer is great, hope your is too. I will surely try a few bags before the purchase of a ton, Bt does have some good prices, I think im narrowed down to 2 ton cubex, 1 ton oakie, and either the spruce pointe or vermonts..........could easily go with 4 ton of the same but i gotta have some variety in my diet....hahahahaha

I do the same thing, I like to spread it around and share. Summer been good and don't want it to end. I got Hamers and Cubies so far, Plus the Turmans & Omalleys left over from last year. I would like to get at least 1 more ton but shooting for 2. I would like to have 2 full years supply with these prices!

HEMI said:
.....I think im narrowed down to 2 ton cubex, 1 ton oakie, and.....the spruce pointe......

That's what I'd get, if I were you....all of them are VERY good pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.