Vermont Wood Pellet Company...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Here in Southern VT we just had a new pellet mill open up back in the summer. All they are doing, as far as I know anyway, is making wood pellets. Just curious to see if anybody on this forum, from VT, has used them? Being a new mill they don't distribute outside of VT yet, but we will see. There wasn't a whole lot of info on their website and I'm not 100% sure what these #'s mean but here they are....

BTU/lb- 8389
Ash- .27%
Moistue- 4.80%

They say they are made from pulpwood, no idea what that means, and are "Super Premium". Is that hardwood or softwood?

Bigjim13 said:
Here in Southern VT we just had a new pellet mill open up back in the summer. All they are doing, as far as I know anyway, is making wood pellets. Just curious to see if anybody on this forum, from VT, has used them? Being a new mill they don't distribute outside of VT yet, but we will see. There wasn't a whole lot of info on their website and I'm not 100% sure what these #'s mean but here they are....

BTU/lb- 8389
Ash- .27%
Moistue- 4.80%

They say they are made from pulpwood, no idea what that means, and are "Super Premium". Is that hardwood or softwood?
I have burned these pellets in my boiler, they burn awesome. I've even toured the plant, really nice people that own it. I might suggest that you stop down, purchase a few bags and test burn to see what they do for you. The pellets are manufactured from pine logs that are debarked prior to making the pellets. IMHO, I do believe that the cost per ton is high because they are manufactured locally, purchased and picked up at the mill by the customer with no shipping fees.

wil said:
Bigjim13 said:

BTU/lb- 8389
Ash- .27%
Moistue- 4.80%

I have burned these pellets in my boiler, they burn awesome. I've even toured the plant, really nice people that own it. I might suggest that you stop down, purchase a few bags and test burn to see what they do for you. The pellets are manufactured from pine logs that are debarked prior to making the pellets. IMHO, I do believe that the cost per ton is high because they are manufactured locally, purchased and picked up at the mill by the customer with no shipping fees.

I take it you can buy them by the bag at the mill then? I have been wanting to get a few but haven't been to Middlebury to go to the one store that stocks them. The price did seem high but not that much higher than the box stores per ton, and it supports a local business. So if it's pine that would mean soft wood right?

Yes, they are softwood, just stop in at the mill and pick up however many bags you want to test burn. ( $5.00 per bag) Not sure on this Sat., but every Sat. they are at the mill to purchase by the ton. Try them, you won't be sorry that you did. One other thing, If your not satisfied, take them back, talk to the owner(s), they really want people to be satisfied.

They're distributed up in Middlebury through Bordeau and Bushey. I picked up 10 bags in the summer. Burn absolutely great!
Very hot. They smell like fresh cut sawdust and apples. Very light in color. My bags had more fines than I'd like, but when you buy loose bags its not possible to tell if they left the mill like that or were handled too much. It was also early in their production. I'm planning to try again soon and probably buy most of next winter's supply from them.

clifford

Glad to hear the good reviews! It's nice to hear about a company like this actually making a good product, hopefully they catch on and grow! Looking back I don't know that I would have bought the Maine Woods, there does seem to be ALOT of ash, but I was worried about being able to get pellets at all back in the spring. Good to know about the bark fibers as well. I gave my stove a FULL cleaning on 12-7 ( I remember because I took the day off from work) and I emptied the ash pan then. It's been 3 weeks and the ash pan is almost full again and while it has been cold I don't think I burned a ton in 3 weeks!

I just went over to the Vermont Wood Pellet mill and bought some "test" bags (I live REAL close to them so I can ask any questions that some of you have). Very nice people and they seem to care what I think of the pellets because they want me to report back on how they burned in my Big-E. You can buy pellets any day now and they are $5.50 a bag (and $251 a ton IIRC). I talked to Chris (one of the owners) and he said they have been doing some "tweaking". I'll be sure and let you know how it goes with my "test burn".

Tom

where abouts is this mill located?

It's on RT 7B near the Rutland Airport (about 5 miles south of Rutland). I have a card in my truck and can look up there address later on.

snikr said:
It's on RT 7B near the Rutland Airport (about 5 miles south of Rutland). I have a card in my truck and can look up there address later on.

1105 Route 7B
North Clarendon, VT

They bought an empty warehouse (bought or leased not sure which) that another pellet stove/pellet mill was supposedly going to buy. I can't remember the name of the company, he came into Rutland offering $199/ton for life and had plans of buying the Bixby pellet stove line and bringing it here. He has since filed bankrupcy, earlier this year I think, and has not been heard from since.

I heard from some people that he was charging upwards of $7k to buy and install a stove from him. I don't know how true, that's what I heard from a number of people. I was lucky and didn't buy into the hype, just sounded to good to be true. Anyway it sounds like we have a good company and reliable source for pellets locally and I am very excited about that.

Just got home from Home Depot and TSC. TSC is holding strong on their price of $5.99/bag of Maine Woods and $250/ton. HD was selling Tomorrow's Energy pellets for $4.78/bag and $239/ton.

Bigjim13 said:
snikr said:

1105 Route 7B
North Clarendon, VT

They bought an empty warehouse (bought or leased not sure which) that another pellet stove/pellet mill was supposedly going to buy. I can't remember the name of the company, he came into Rutland offering $199/ton for life and had plans of buying the Bixby pellet stove line and bringing it here. He has since filed bankrupcy, earlier this year I think, and has not been heard from since. <snip>
The place where Vermont Wood Pellets is now used to be a pallet plant. The other guy wanted to put a pellet place in there but couldn't quite get people to part with enough money to get it going (or line his pockets like he did with the pellet biz).

Tom

snikr said:
Bigjim13 said:
snikr said:

1105 Route 7B
North Clarendon, VT

They bought an empty warehouse (bought or leased not sure which) that another pellet stove/pellet mill was supposedly going to buy. I can't remember the name of the company, he came into Rutland offering $199/ton for life and had plans of buying the Bixby pellet stove line and bringing it here. He has since filed bankrupcy, earlier this year I think, and has not been heard from since. <snip>
The place where Vermont Wood Pellets is now used to be a pallet plant. The other guy wanted to put a pellet place in there but couldn't quite get people to part with enough money to get it going (or line his pockets like he did with the pellet biz).

Tom

That's what it was, a former pallet plant that was shut down. I couldn't quite remember. The other guy had sweet talked the Rutland Economic development corp into parting with some money though, I don't think they got to the point of funding him though. I think his little biz collapsed before that point.

Well I just finished my "test" of the Vermont Wood Pellet products and I find they did a great job. They burn as hot or hotter than the Lignetics I'm using but they have HALF the ash. Plus they were about $25 a ton less when I checked last. I think I've found my pellets for next year.

Tom

I just stopped over to the Vermont Wood Pellet plant today (1/8/2010) and I was talking to Chris and he told me they just lowered the price of a ton to $239.

snikr said:
I just stopped over to the Vermont Wood Pellet plant today (1/8/2010) and I was talking to Chris and he told me they just lowered the price of a ton to $239.

I just got the same info in an email from him! I hope that price holds until I get my taxes done, I usually get back enough to cover my pellet purchase for next season and at that price it sounds like they are a steal!

They are a very good pellet, Super premium they do not use any saw dust or chips in there pellets, They only buy pulp wood and they de-bark the logs right at the mill, I have visited the mill and saw the operation, Top notch and the mill is looking for feedback all the time as they want to produce only the best qaulity pellets, The are distributed By Precision Heat Natures Way in Winchester NH, the are both retail and wholesale , They will give you sample bags to try they ar so confident you will like them, They service all of MA,CT, NH, ME and a largre part of Vermont they do home deliverys for only $25.00 per ton Check them out at www.precisionheatnaturesway.com Great people to deal with give them a call 603-239-7007

only 249.00 per ton

I just used some pellets from Vermont Wood Pellet Company near Rutland. They worked great. Very high heat, no clinkers and little or no carbon buildup. The low carbon build up means being able to run the Englander longer without cleaning the auger tube. There are by far better than any low priced pellet I have used. They are very comparable (better in some ways) to the expensive premium pellets I use now and are cheaper. It appears they throw more heat than the premium expensive pellets I use now and are selling for $239. It sometimes takes companies years to create a good quality pellet and this company has done it in well less than a year. I am seriously thinking of switching to the Vermont Pellet Company brand next year and saving some money as well.

After my "test" they are going to be my pellet for next winter. Tax refund should be here by 2/19. Then I may be a "pellet pig" ;)

Tom

snikr said:
After my "test" they are going to be my pellet for next winter. Tax refund should be here by 2/19. Then I may be a "pellet pig" ;)

Tom

So they did pretty well for you I take it?

I hope I can try them someday. Always on the lookout for a good reasonably price pellet(well aren't we all?).

Status
Not open for further replies.