1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Vermont Wood Pellet pre-buy

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jslinger, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jslinger

jslinger Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Hopefully this hasn't already been posted.
    For those of you in the area close enough to get pellets directly from Vermont Wood Pellets, they are offering their pre-buy pricing.
    I called them yesterday and was told that the prices are $240/ton if you pick up or take delivery by the end of May, or $250/ton if you pick up by the end of August.
    These prices do not include delivery. I believe they charge $30/ton for delivery.
    From what I understand, the offer is good until the end of April.
    I am not sure what dealers will be offering for a price at this time. I contacted the dealer in Middlebury, VT, and was told they are still working out a deal with VTWP. The woman I talked to made is sound like they wouldn't be able to offer a similar deal. This business is a co-op, and not actually a dealer, so this may be different if dealing with an brick and mortar dealer.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Oink Oink

Oink Oink Member

Loc:
    North East CT
    Dealer near me is selling them at an early bird price of $275 picked up and $295 delivered.
  3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I paid $285 as part of the Spring "deal". Already delivered!!!
  4. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    $289 up here. Jumped $4 since the last time I bought in February. $240 is a kick asks price for a great pellet. Wish I lived closer.
  5. jslinger

jslinger Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Having them delivered and placed in my garage for $30/ton seemed worth it. But since the dealer won't give an early buy price, that makes it a $60/ton difference. Guess I will be taking some time to stack some pellets.
    I will probably go with the higher price, just to get the freshest pellets I can. Plus, I hate filling space in the garage.
  6. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Where are you getting them for $289? SMRF is at $309.

So, Vermont can sell them locally for $270 delivered? Does it really cost them over $600 to truck them to Maine? Is my dealer making over $30/ton profit? I'm confused.
  7. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    jslinger.....Couple of things here. Please do not think that a "few months fresher" will even slightly incfrease the performance of your wood pellets..it won't. I have an opened partial pallet of the old Juniata pellets from when I first got into the business that is 8 years old and every year I burn a few bags off of it to see how they do. No difference in performance even after 8 years of sitting in a barn.(they really wern't that good to begin with) Secondly, there is not guarantee that the pellets that you buy in September will be "newer" than the pellets that you get in April. Inventory builds up at mills and it builds up at dealers' warehouses. If your motive is to wait til later so you can keep your garage clear, that's one thing. But don't do it thinking your pellets will be fresher- they may not be...but even if they are, it makes no difference. Good luck.
    pelletdude, The Ds and JustWood like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    VWP has to one of a limited few, That sell directly at the mill.
  9. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    D&J In Sanford on rt. 4 across from Berniers who also has pellets.

D&J - Vermont's, Northerns, New England, Logic, and one other.
    Berniers- Lg, Geneva, Maximum, Cubex, Lg Supers, Trebio.
  10. Cowdogz

Cowdogz Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    If I had a small trailer and could haul a full ton in one trip, then I'd be on that. I'm over a half-hour from there, so not cost effective. What's Bernier's price on the Trebio, do you know?
  11. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Not sure, but I'm going over today. He's having a hard time moving the Cubex. Gonna see if he wants to come down on the price a little. I'll find out about the Trebio
  12. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
  13. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    hey Hoot , i drive up rt 4 on my way to our family's camp in Limerick and i'm trying to picture this place D&J across from Berniers that you speak of . is it right across from them and what kind of business is it ?
  14. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    It's directly across the street. D$J Home and Hearth. It's a stove shop. Wood and pellet stoves, and outdoor grills. Nice people, that's where I got my Harman.
  15. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    really wow . i'm a first year pellet burner , but still don't know how i've missed it . thanx bud
  16. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    No problem. If your heading toward Limerick it's on your right just before the light .
  17. Bigjim13

Bigjim13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    Yeah and I'd like to know why I can get a good pellet from Canada (Northerns) cheaper than I can get a good pellet made in my back yard (Vermont's).
  18. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    My local dealer just told me that VTWP was not offering early buy or spring/summer specials so they will be keeping their price at $295/ton. Why would they tell me that if everyone else is getting an early buy discount?
  19. Bigjim13

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    Wow, $295/ton?! Is that the going rate for pellets in your area? I have yet to burn a pellet that I would pay $295 for!
  20. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    For VWP, yes. Okies are $289/ton. Cubex are $259/ton. Granules LG are $260/ton.

I don't know why pellets tend to be so much more in my area. Especially for the Vermont's. If I had a truck and trailer, I would go to the mill and get them myself.
  21. Bigjim13

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    They are $260 at the mill, not sure it would save much $$.
  22. jslinger

jslinger Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    When I called, they told me $240.
  23. Bigjim13

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    Interesting. Their website has them at $260.
  24. Jaymaine34

Jaymaine34 Member

Interesting I need to go have a look myself ! Did you find out any prices ?
  25. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    $289 for Northerns and Vermont's. $259 for New England's, $265 I think for the Logics.