vermonts or okie df

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
Narrowing my choices down to vt and okies df for next year. This was my first year burning and I learned a lot from this site. After starting off the season with garbage Supremes I had to clean my stove every three days. Next year I am willing to spend the extra for less maintenance. I burned seven bags of the dfs and there is virtually no ash, however they are 360 a ton (plus 75 for delivery) right now where I am in mass. My local dealer said they maybe less for the pre buy offered in April. I haven't tried vts however I hear a lot of good things about them and they are 295 a ton (100 for delivery from dealer further away). Is it safe for me to take the leap of faith and buy the Vermont's to save a little or just go with what I have tried. Really wanted to try vts but not sure if ash is as low as okies.

The Vermonts would be fine.

Our most local Home Depot is 12 miles away and they charge last I knew $50 to deliver if we wanted them delivered . But they had American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine Ultra for $249 a ton back in Nov-Dec. Just as good as Oakie DF, IMO, for more than $100 a ton less money.. Maybe better, they left less deposits on the burn pot and had more consistent sizing to them. But after HD got done selling them, Tractor Supply had them, though they don't deliver. I'm looking for those next year from either location as first pick because they are near by compared with some other places, and lower cost than DF....

How much risk can there be be in not pre ordering DF's this summer at $350-$360 a ton ? There are so many other good pellets out there for less. I'd say Vermonts are also on my list even if I travel the 40 miles to where they sell them for $ 299 a ton.. THe same place has LaCrete, also a good pellet. I'll burn anything in shoulder season but I like the good quality pellets for the hot burn time of year, Any DF qualifies, doesn't have to be Oakie. Any low ash high BTU softwood qualifies for the mid winters cold. My picks in softwood right now are AWF WP, Vermont, Lacrete. I bought two tons of DF for this winters mid season burn. Hardwoods would work if low ash is available but that is a big if around these parts..

Oh and I like Spruce Pointe but our dealer went nuts on the price this year. I was all set to buy those in my mind, 3 tons delivered and then found out he jumped the price to $7.95 a bag, no matter what volume, delivered or you pick up. He might as well just say he doesn't want to sell them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.