Vertical chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billb3

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2007
SE Mass
On a manufactured vertical chimney :
Does the (black) pipe just slide up into the ceiling thimble and then drop back down the inch and a half into the stove's exhaust throat ?
pdf drawings don't make this fitment technique terribly clear or I just don't see it. Seems too simple.

Sandy and a tree collaborated in removing (and destroying) my SS out and up chimney and gutter from the back of the house and now that my stove is pretty much out of commission too I'm thinking of removing a masonry oil burner /coal stove lined chimney from the basement, that's not being used any more, getting a small stove that will fit in that 32"x32" space and end up with a nice small heater in the middle of the house between the living room and kitchen. (I'd really like to have the stove in the middle of the house instead of at one end)
A bit of a project for December / January.
Never had a straight up (off the stove) and out chimney before and now I'm considering two of them .
(another for a work shop)

On my Selkirk, the Ceiling Support Box has a black pipe coupler on the bottom. The black pipe from the stove slides outside this adapter. That way, male ends point down, so no leakage to exterior of pipe. The Class A pipe sits inside the CSB in the attic.

Connector pipe is available in telescoping lengths that solve this problem nicely. As for the stove installation, 32" is a tight space. I'm not sure this is going to be possible. Post a picture of the space.so we can see what the options are.

So, it's really no different than going up / 90 degrees and out a thimble then.

The "space" would be from removing a chimney that is enclosed by wall.
It's pretty much the division wall between the living room and kitchen.
To one side is a 32" x 36" "hallway between the two rooms and counter on the other side of the chimney.
Effectively I'd end up with a 68"x32" open space/hallway between the two rooms.

The stove would end up with just a wall behind it, all three sides would be open, unless I really wanted the front of the stove to be facing the living room. Then clearances get tight, at least on one side of the stove.
Floor plan is only 875 sq ft so we're talking small stove here. Small, like VL-17 and certainly no bigger than say a T4 (although that cooking top/wings would be nice right there in the middle of the kitchen )

Maybe I can draw a pic when the sun goes down.
I've got Sandy trees to cut up s the weather is cooperating.

Status
Not open for further replies.