vertical run right out back of stove, with cleanout T?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman460

Apr 30, 2008
SE Nebraska
Hi all, the stove in question is a Breckwell Big E, but I don't think it matters. The location where I'm putting the stove necessitates a vertical vent with no horizontal run. So, obviously I need to install the adapter on the stove outlet, then can I install the cleanout T right onto that? Won't the bottom of the T be very close to the top of the hearth pad? How close will it get?

2nd question: With this install, I will obviously clean the vent from top to bottom, when it requires cleaning. I assume I place a tray under the cleanout cap, go up on the roof, take the top cap off and run the brush down from the top. True?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Pat

sandman460 said:
Hi all, the stove in question is a Breckwell Big E, but I don't think it matters. The location where I'm putting the stove necessitates a vertical vent with no horizontal run. So, obviously I need to install the adapter on the stove outlet, then can I install the cleanout T right onto that? Won't the bottom of the T be very close to the top of the hearth pad? How close will it get?

2nd question: With this install, I will obviously clean the vent from top to bottom, when it requires cleaning. I assume I place a tray under the cleanout cap, go up on the roof, take the top cap off and run the brush down from the top. True?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Pat

#1 How close it is to the hearth pad depends on the stove and the location of its exhaust connector. as long as you can remove the cleanout it is not too close to the hearth pad.
#2 When you clean it, if you are going to brush from the top down, do that first, then remove the tee cover. That way you are right there to control any dust that comes out. Having a shopvac with a drywall or HEPA filter running with the hose next to the cleanout when you open it will help lots

Did mine from the bottom up, just put a small cardboard box under there to catch the soot. The brush is very flexible, so it navigated the short space between the floor and cleanout tee possible. Good luck.

When you install the pipe put the T at a 45 degree angle and a 45 degree elbow on top of the t which will bring you back to the point of going straight up then you can get your brush in and wont be on top of the hearth pad

compressedwoodsupplier said:
When you install the pipe put the T at a 45 degree angle and a 45 degree elbow on top of the t which will bring you back to the point of going straight up then you can get your brush in and wont be on top of the hearth pad

Exactly what I did:

Attachments

• Stove install 3.JPG
    Stove install 3.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 356
Status
Not open for further replies.