Vertical Splitting - Avatar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Posted this on another thread to answer some question about how we would get the big ones over the fence from the neighbors yard. Well this may be my new Avatar. :cheese: Nah, out of respect for Dennis, I won't do it ;-) but it surely has to make him proud though :exclaim:

Attachments

• big wood edit.jpg
    big wood edit.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 530
Rounds like that deserve more than 110x110.

Aw, go ahead Steve. That would make a great avatar. Did you measure the diameter of that log? It looks to be bigger than that pin oak I wrestled. Those suckers were heavy but this old man was up to the challenge anyway. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Aw, go ahead Steve. That would make a great avatar. Did you measure the diameter of that log? It looks to be bigger than that pin oak I wrestled. Those suckers were heavy but this old man was up to the challenge anyway. lol
No I didn't Dennis, but we got rained out today and need to finish tomorrow, cause the neighbor wants it out of the yard. I will measure tomorrow. Believe it or not, the tree guy kept dropping what he cut to the base of the tree, and the pile kept him from cutting down the last 6 feet of tree, so I will measure that....gonna be bigger than the one in the picture, YIKES! As I started to pull the handle on the splitter, my son said, stop, I have to get a picture of that....and I instantly thought of my friend in Michigan :) It would make a good avatar wouldn't it?
this old man was up to the challenge anyway
That, I have no doubt :exclaim:

That just looks fun.
Only way I'd ever get a round that big is cut some cotton wood. Not
going to happen so guess I'll just dream.
Nice picture.
Make a great Avatar. Realism's make the best ones.

SolarAndWood said:
Rounds like that deserve more than 110x110.
I think I agree Solar.
bogydave said:
That just looks fun.
Only way I'd ever get a round that big is cut some cotton wood. Not
going to happen so guess I'll just dream.
Nice picture.
Make a great Avatar. Realism's make the best ones.
Bogydave. They are pretty awsome but a bear to wrestle.

I'm guessing you get about 25 splits from that thing. Nice.

The pellet forum has "pellet pig members", why not add "vertical splitter member" in your signature. Start a new club on here. I'll forward the motion, need a second...

fishingpol said:
The pellet forum has "pellet pig members", why not add "vertical split member" in your signature. Start a new club on here. I'll forward the motion, need a second...
What do you think Dennis? You would be the President of course ;-P Jake will want to join :snake:

Ya, Jake should jump on this one. I'll let the more important people be President of the vertical splitting club.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis, measured it today.....36 - 38 inches at 5 feet off the ground. It's a big one! You would have been proud. We did a lot of vertical splitting on those monsters.

If you wrestle those very much you will get tired fast! They can get pretty heavy.,

Most residential removals in my area seem to be 30" - 40". For what ever reason it seems to be a threshold size to people to get rid of the tree... I run into these critters and they are lots of work to remove.

I don't know Dennis . . . it sounds as though you could handily win this Presidential election . . . all in favor of Dennis being El Presidente of the Vertical Splitter Club please signify by saying Aye. ;)

For the record . . . on a round this large there is no way I would attempt this horizontally . . . clearly a case where vertical splitting is almost a given . . . except perhaps for those folks with beefy log lifters.

Backwoods Savage said:
If you wrestle those very much you will get tired fast! They can get pretty heavy.,
Yah, unfortunately Dennis, I wrestled one wrong and screwed up my back. I hope I just pulled a muscle but not sure yet. Hurts like hell! I should know better, but the brain hasn't figured out the body is getting old yet. :-S

firefighterjake said:
I don't know Dennis . . . it sounds as though you could handily win this Presidential election . . . all in favor of Dennis being El Presidente of the Vertical Splitter Club please signify by saying Aye. ;)
AYE :exclaim:

42" - upsydaisy...and I didn't hurt my back. :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• 012sm.jpg
    012sm.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 185
  • logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 196
tfdchief said:
Jags said:
42" - upsydaisy...and I didn't hurt my back. :coolsmirk:
Jags, I am surprised the lift on the log splitter didn't tip it over.....that's a big one. What kind of wood?

I think that one was a maple. My splitter has a 5ft wide stance. The log lift does not extend past the wheelbase. Not tippy at all. About 4 seconds from ground to I beam. WHOOOHOOO! Get-R-Done.

Note: I have had bigger stuff on it.

tfdchief said:
Jags, nice splitter and lift. Of course you can't be in the "Vertical Splitting Club" though :cheese:

It won't go vertical. I never understood why people would want to be crawling around on the ground trying to get wood split from the get go. ;-)

I could always serve as the "black sheep" of the club. :coolsmile:

Jags said:
tfdchief said:
Jags, nice splitter and lift. Of course you can't be in the "Vertical Splitting Club" though :cheese:

I could always serve as the "black sheep" of the club. :coolsmile:
LOL, we will have to see if Dennis has a "Board of Appeals" appointed yet :)

No, I think we should have a board of apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.