vertical stove pipe Clearance question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voner

Jun 22, 2009
front range, Colorado
I am installing a Quadra-fire Millennium 2100 stove. I have a question about pipe clearances to the wall.

The stove pipe goes up vertical 5 or 6 feet and then makes a right angle turn in goes in horizontal into an old masonry chimney. The chimney is covered with old lime plaster, no wood.

I have 24 gauge singlewall pipe, and there is about 2 feet of masonry chimney that is the closest vertical clearance to the pipe (and the limiting clearance of the installation). I am using a HOMESAVER heatshield on the singlewall pipe. And this is where my confusion comes from. The HOMESAVER installation guide says that the clearance to combustibles is 6 inches with the heatshield, no matter what the type of installation, while the Quadra fire stove installation say that a double walled pipe in this type of installation (which I'm assuming is the equivalent of my installation) should have a minimum clearance of 9.5 inches......

Since the stove is sticking straight out into the middle of a small parlor, this extra 3 1/2 inches matters to me. Should I make the distance from the plastered over chimney wall to the heatshield 6 inches or 9 1/2? If I can save the space, I will. But I want to do the installation correctly and safely.

Advice? Was I clear in my description?

Thanks in advance! You folks are great. I learned a lot about stoves and installation from reading these forums.

Timv a.k.a. Voner

What are the nearest combustibles? The stove clearances to combustibles are what Quadrafire manual refers to and should be the guiding distances.

It's hard to say whether you need to worry about this or not at all. Does the chimney protrude into the room so that the nearest combustible is a sizeable distance from the stove or stove pipe? That could make this a non-issue. If you can post a picture, we can eyeball the installation location. As for the pipe, again, it is clearances to combustibles. One thing to double check, how close is the thimble to the ceiling?

What you see for the 9.5" is a reference point to measure from for the stove to meet clearances. They are showing a measuring point from the flue collar on the unit to the wall, just in case you can't get a good measurement from the back of the stove.

Inferno: thanks a million for your answer. I kept getting confused -- because an experienced chimney sweep I had looked at my setup said that the clearance from the pipe to the combustible was 6 inches, but the Quadra fire manual said 9.5 to the flue-collar. But I was interpreting the flue-collar being the distance for the whole pipe. I did not mention this, but the missionary chimney that has line plaster over it, is corbeled out from the wall, and so the blue-collar actually is a couple feet or so from the wall, while the top couple feet of the stovepipe is the closest point between potential combustibles and the stovepipe.

I posted a picture of the potential set up. I will use 6 inches as our gauge... by the way don't get fooled by this picture it's just for illustration. I'm actually using a homesaver heatshield on this single wall pipe. And that thimble is going to be different -- the part just has not come in...

thanks again. This forum is a huge help. Once I get the stove burning, I'll always think about what help everyone in this forum was educating me....

timv aka voner[/size]

Attachments

• stove corbel1.jpg
    stove corbel1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 274
Status
Not open for further replies.