Vertical Venting Inside or Out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do the vertical on the outside that's where you'd put the cleanout t. Keeping the chance of a messy cleanup outside. Either way it shouldn't be messy though. It's up to your preference really.

Reactions: JennaT717
If you go up then out, it's easier to get a nice neat install if you ever replace the stove with a different model. If you go straight out, it's a challenge to match things up.

You might also think about going up a few feet, then out, then up some more. That's what I did, because I replaced an old wood stove that went into a masonry chimney. Actually, I hired a certified installer who did a great job and thought of stuff I never would have. It was money well spent.

personally I like the venting outside out of sight and cleanout on the outside but bcarton does bring up a good point about ever replacing the stove.It's really personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: JennaT717
Hi Jenna, and welcome to this forum !

As Shane1 noted, I went through the wall with a horizontal piece of venting then went vertical outside, where I put a clean-out T, to keep the vent cleaning mess outside. It also meant I only needed to seal the short section of venting that is inside with silicone tape to prevent smoke leaks, which can be more of a problem if the venting is inside the house. For some it is more a matter of visual aesthetics whether you have exposed pipe on the inside wall or outside of the house.

One consideration for going 5' of vertical venting rather than just 3' is that the 5' vertical venting will better allow for a natural convective draft to remove the smoke from your stove in the event of a power failure, with less potential for filling your house up with smoke. This is especially the case if your vent termination on the outside wall of your house faces into the prevailing wind direction, which can cause back drafts into the house when the wind speed overpowers the combustion fans ability to push out the smoke.

Another alternative that doesn't require a vertical vent section is to install a UPS - uninterrupted power supply system - that runs your stove on an internal battery power source for long enough that the stove can fully shut down and clear the smoke if the power goes out. APC makes a variety of excellent UPS back-up systems - type in "APC UPS" in the search query link at the top right of the page and you'll find many threads on this to help you with more info.

Regards, and good luck. DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Horizontal then vertical. Why add an extra 90 degree to the pipe? 3 to 5 feet of vertical is fine. I prefer the full hood to cap the top.

I did mine on the inside and the wife and I both agree it looks really nice having the pipe on the inside it really helps to accent our hearth. This photo is pre mantel. We used a hand huned piece of 4by 8 for our mantel.
image.jpeg

Inside rise is a good match to a traditional looking stove. Horizontal out and up is nicer for European-style stoves imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.