Verticle Exhaust Pipe Cleaning Tool Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goode2shoes

Dec 23, 2011
Southern IN
I've been using a pellet stove for just over a month now and I'm trying to come up with a good/efficient tool to clean the 3' verticle exhaust pipe and the 1' horizontal exhaust end cap with.

My thought probably won't work very well but I was thinking of using a toilet bowl brush.

I've read in a posting something about using a leaf blower but wouldn't that blow ash into the stove via indirect air current?

What tool does everyone use?

goode2shoes said:
I've read in a posting something about using a leaf blower but wouldn't that blow ash into the stove via indirect air current?.......

If I read you correctly, you have a 3' vertical inside the house, and then a horizontal straight out through the wall? If so, you would use a leaf blower that has a suction side (for sucking up & shredding the leaves), attached to the end of the outside pipe and suck the ash out of the stove.

imacman said:
goode2shoes said:
I've read in a posting something about using a leaf blower but wouldn't that blow ash into the stove via indirect air current?.......

If I read you correctly, you have a 3' vertical inside the house, and then a horizontal straight out through the wall? If so, you would use a leaf blower that has a suction side (for sucking up & shredding the leaves), attached to the end of the outside pipe and suck the ash out of the stove.

I'm so sorry I did not clarify myself in my posting.

I have a through the wall installation. The vertical and the horizontal exhaust pipe is OUTSIDE the house.

Is there a quick way to clean the pipe in my situation?

My leave blower does not have that attribute that has a suction option.

goode2shoes, you can pick a leaf blower With a suction (vacum, sorry can't spell it!) at HD for under $55.00.

I believe that the leaf blower blows into the OAK and goes through the stove and out the exhaust pipe.
I am new, but i have not seen anything indicating that is should suck through the outlet.

I was going to buy one of these 3" duct brushes. My bottom cap pipe is easily removed to scrub the vertical pipes on the outside of my house.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48438-85334...=/pl__0__s?Ntt=pellet+stove+brush&facetInfo;=

Bill

bill3rail said:
I believe that the leaf blower blows into the OAK and goes through the stove and out the exhaust pipe.
I am new, but i have not seen anything indicating that is should suck through the outlet.

I was going to buy one of these 3" duct brushes. My bottom cap pipe is easily removed to scrub the vertical pipes on the outside of my house.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48438-85334...=/pl__0__s?Ntt=pellet+stove+brush&facetInfo;=

Bill

The leaf blower is attached to the exhaust vent and sucks the crud from the stove.

bill3rail said:
I am new, but i have not seen anything indicating that is should suck through the outlet.......
No Bill, that is incorrect. A leaf blower that HAS the suction (vacuum) option is attached to the exhaust of the stove, and the soot/ash is sucked out and blown outdoors. Obviously, it is only for those who have exposed outdoor pipe that is easily accessible.

In the case of the OP, all he has to do after getting the right leaf blower is to disconnect the T from the outdoor pipe, and attach the leaf blower (suction side) to the pipe.

This should be done AFTER the stove has been cleaned, and the door on the stove should be left open slightly, or the hose to the vacuum switch taken off.

Status
Not open for further replies.