Very confused.... a little help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
karri0n said:
Woodburn, You have a non cat stove with a bypass damper? Is this a top loading model? My stove has a bypass damper, but it's really only so you can top load without the damper being in the way, and so the smoke has a direct path up the chim instead of into the house. I never top load, so I leave it alone. I never start the fire with the bypass open.

Yes, the Arbor is Non Cat with bypass damper like you said, and it's a top loader. I'm shocked that you are able to start fires with the bypass closed without getting smoke in the house. Also, doesn't it take a long time for the chimney to heat up with it closed? I would think you would get more creosote this way. Also, when you open the doors to reload, you don't get smoke coming out? The one or two times I forgot to pop open the damper before reloading, I was reminded real quickly as soon as I opened those doors! I always leave it open for the initial stage of the burn. I let the stove and chimney get good and hot before closing it off. I have abnormally strong draft too. I'm amazed you are able to do that!

Thanks meathead for the very good post. I can't wait to try it. I have been spreading out the coals which has given me some serious heat but for a short amount of time.
Perplexed, thanks for leading me to this thread. Hopefully I can use meathead's method to perfection.

I've really never noticed any difference in performance with the damper open vs. closed, and my dealer had mentioned that I would always want the bypass closed unless I'm top loading. I'll try starting this way, but I usually do a full load on startup, and the damper gets right in the way of loading when it's down.

Status
Not open for further replies.