Very dry wood with the primary closed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I am experimenting with burning some skids in my quad. What I find is that I can close my primary air control the whole way and still achieve 300 + degree stove top with good secondary burn. It seems to me that doing this takes away any draft that was felt in the house. I guess this is what it is like burning very dry wood..... which brings me to my next point. Is burning soft dry wood with controls closed better than burning 20% hardwoods with primary cracked open?

Personally I think that the hardwoods will burn longer no matter what. Especially at 20% MC. The extra little bit that the primary air would be opened while burning hardwood won't come close to offsetting the much larger density in the hardwood.

That's my 2 cents (eventhough we abolished the penny...)

Andrew

Reactions: jatoxico
Without a doubt. Today I started out this morning with a batch of very dry doug fir splits. 4-6" each. The fire took off from the overnight coals readily. Stove temp hit 750F about 45 minutes later with air all the way closed. 4 hrs later the fire was hot coals and stove temp going down rapidly. :mad: I burned down the coals and put on a good load of 6-8" locust splits. 9 hrs later I am burning the coals down for a reload in about an hour. I love locust.

Every stove will burn a little differently with different set-ups, flue systems and outside weather. I can shut the primary right off after I get the going and have no problems with any dry fuel. Others may have different results.

Not familiar with your stove but 3-400 is when my stove just starts warming up and seems a little cool for max temps? Are you getting the most out of your stove?

Just look up the BTU rating for different type woods that will let you know which woods yo can get the most heat.

One thing I have noticed is when I have wood thats around 20% maybe 21% the stove doesnt operate well , yes it will operate but when wood is more like below 18% the stove works much better. I can turn it down quicker before I burn up all my wood load and I can turn it down lower for a slower burn and still keep some secondary flames in the top of the stove going.

A person has to ask when they are getting a new load of wood going how much of the wood load did I use up just getting temps up to operational level so you can get the stove turned back down. Sometimes all that can be done much quicker by utilizing a little bit of kindling.

Reactions: JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.