Very handy for only $20

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
That's actually a pretty reasonable price I've seen them listed at about twice that but the color was yellow.

I know, not as macho as the massive hydraulic rigs you guys brag on [grin], but very very handy for that last-minute "oops, doesn't fit the firebox" moment when you need to do a quick split. Works really well and can be used right in the basement.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-slide-log-splitter-93360.html

-dan
Yea, but what's the difference between that and and a splitting wedge? Only the method of striking it as I see it. I have a splitting wedge and a 8 pound hammer to hit it with. I see these for sale on craigslist all the time, makes me think it's one of those tools that looks cool but doesn't really work very well..

I'd rather have a maul and a wedge.
The maul could be used for other things (like fixing computers) and the wedge likely hurts less dropped on your foot.

Reactions: Thistle
If you need that for an "oops, doesn't fit the firebox" moment, you were either drinking when splitting or drinking when trying to put the wood in the firebox. If you need a sledge and wedge for an "oops, doesn't fit the firebox" moment, the same applies. A splitting axe or even a hatchet works quite well for the "oops, doesn't fit the firebox" moment, unless you cut the round too long. Then none of the above work very well.

Reactions: Thistle
Good comments. Here's my situation. If I already owned a maul and wedge, this tool would have been of little or no use. But for $20 it covers that function more economically and is easier to use.

I neither cut nor split this wood, so whoever did was not doing so with my firebox in mind (and I can only speculate on their alcohol consumption). There are times when I want a smaller piece or when the length is just enough to be a pain (or impossible) to load, but splitting it allows both resulting pieces to fit right in.

The key difference between this and a maul & wedge is that every hammer blow hits the wedge dead on with no need to aim. Even fairly funky pieces can be laid flat on the floor with the butt end against the bottom cellar stair step and a few light taps of the slide hammer sets the wedge, then you tip it upright and four or five quick shots finishes the job. The ease of starting the wedge means you can work around knots or grain twists by beginning again at the other end, with little fuss.

And yes, drop this on your foot and you will regret it, but the "lay down" method helps prevent this on tricky pieces and ones that stand on their own OK are easy to start the wedge in, so the danger is low. I haven't tried this tool on a computer hard drive yet, but you've inspired me [grin].

-dan

Good comments. Here's my situation. If I already owned a maul and wedge, this tool would have been of little or no use. But for $20 it covers that function more economically and is easier to use.

I neither cut nor split this wood, so whoever did was not doing so with my firebox in mind (and I can only speculate on their alcohol consumption). There are times when I want a smaller piece or when the length is just enough to be a pain (or impossible) to load, but splitting it allows both resulting pieces to fit right in.

The key difference between this and a maul & wedge is that every hammer blow hits the wedge dead on with no need to aim. Even fairly funky pieces can be laid flat on the floor with the butt end against the bottom cellar stair step and a few light taps of the slide hammer sets the wedge, then you tip it upright and four or five quick shots finishes the job. The ease of starting the wedge means you can work around knots or grain twists by beginning again at the other end, with little fuss.

And yes, drop this on your foot and you will regret it, but the "lay down" method helps prevent this on tricky pieces and ones that stand on their own OK are easy to start the wedge in, so the danger is low. I haven't tried this tool on a computer hard drive yet, but you've inspired me [grin].

-dan

Yeah, I would probably go a different route in that situation, but that is me. Actually going to go that route just to make splits smaller for easier burning. Saw somebody make a log holder out of some 2x4's and an old tire. Put the piece of wood to be split in that old tire that is propped up on a square of 2x4's and hit it with an axe. Going to get an X27 and X7 tonight after I finish looking at the board.

I usually have problems with the length of the split, not the width. Wife gets a little testy about me trimming them up with the MS230 tho. Something about she's trying to sleep? ;) :p

I haven't tried this tool on a computer hard drive yet, but you've inspired me [grin].

-dan

You will be very impressed at just how much abuse they will take. Just say'in....

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.