very happy not to be burning wood this yr!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well put certified. I grew up with wood heat. Nothing is nicer than being in front of a fire when it's cold out. When I moved on and then got married I had no fireplace. I thought about it all the time, especially when I visited my parents home and sat in front of that fire. But my home was built in a way I just couldn't figure it out and I had no money anyway. Had this site been around back then I might have figured it out. Anyway, this house I built and put in a nice zc insert. The thing heats my whole home, 2200sq. ft. Now my wife hates the work I put into but if I had to choose between the two. Well, I'll let you guess that one. ;-)

It sounds like it is time for the OP to buy a home rather than rent.

Backwoods Savage said:
It sounds like it is time for the OP to buy a home rather than rent.

i was going to buy that house but i had to rent 1st to see how i feel about the house at least i did not get stuck with a mortgage and they been trying to sell that house for over 4 yrs now! its a very nice house on the lake but its not worth buying for what they want for it and the cost to upkeep the place is too costly.. so renting is hell a lot cheaper paying over 1500 a month on a house and the bills with it!

When we bought the Old House, one of the first things I wanted was a stove. We never could figure out clearances for a wood burner there, aside from putting it in the dining room and making that basically a place for the stove to site because nothing else would be able to go in there (it's about 6x10 I think and the living room is 8x12). So I settled for the two gas stoves.

The one thing that was on my must have list when we were looking for a new house was either an existing stove or place to put one. I don't think I would have enjoyed running the Fisher that was here when we bought the place nearly as much as the Lopi, it was oversized for the space and I wouldn't have liked the solid doors. Using that stove would have been burning wood for the sake of having heat (since we don't have a furnace/boiler) and although I enjoy the work, it would have gotten old fast I think.

What lake was it on? Lakefront here is crazy too, we basically stole this place because it was unkempt and the listing agent was a joke. When the listing expired we wrote a letter to the owner and he replied, we made an offer-and bam. We finally, after 10 years, found a reasonably priced place on the lake.

I had fight with the wife TOOTH AND NAIL to get a stove in my house. Now you couldn't get that stove out of the house to save your life.....she LOVES it. At the time the gas prices were going crazy, we were on the cusp of a major overhaul on our house, and money was super tight. After her seeing how much money we could save, and how warm the house was compared to money flying out the windows, she was sold on it. Now the house is all redone, we have two woodstoves (almost have the Napoleon NZ3000 installed), and even though the price of gas is reasonable (AHEM) as to what it was a couple of years back, I AIN'T EVER GOING BACK.....we love our wood heat and I plan on keepin it. I get paid to cut trees down as a side job, and my heat is free. What's not to love?

eclecticcottage said:
When we bought the Old House, one of the first things I wanted was a stove. We never could figure out clearances for a wood burner there, aside from putting it in the dining room and making that basically a place for the stove to site because nothing else would be able to go in there (it's about 6x10 I think and the living room is 8x12). So I settled for the two gas stoves.

The one thing that was on my must have list when we were looking for a new house was either an existing stove or place to put one. I don't think I would have enjoyed running the Fisher that was here when we bought the place nearly as much as the Lopi, it was oversized for the space and I wouldn't have liked the solid doors. Using that stove would have been burning wood for the sake of having heat (since we don't have a furnace/boiler) and although I enjoy the work, it would have gotten old fast I think.

What lake was it on? Lakefront here is crazy too, we basically stole this place because it was unkempt and the listing agent was a joke. When the listing expired we wrote a letter to the owner and he replied, we made an offer-and bam. We finally, after 10 years, found a reasonably priced place on the lake.

Townline lake in lakeview mi 250 acre lake

Status
Not open for further replies.