Very hard wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manfred

Feb 15, 2010
okla
I cut a dead red oak yesterday that was so hard I expected to see sparks from my chain!
What causes wood to get this hard after it has been dead for awhile?
It looks like it will really burn good.

The other day I cut about a cord of black locust that was standing dead until the bark was falling off, and I did see sparks... lots of them. Brand new chain needs sharpening already.

I don't know the biological reason, but it seems that any kind of standing dead tree gets sort of petrified after a while. Even the pine and spruce trees in the forests I camp in get hard as a rock, ringing like a bell when I hit them with the back of my bow saw. Best campfire wood there is IMO.

I usually cut a few standing dead red oaks every fall and the wood usually has a very very thin layer of rot on the outside but the rest of the wood is super hard and dense. I usually get a moisture reading between 10 - 20% and the stuff burns great. Most of the time these are dead off-shoots of a large living oak so they aren't to big and the top is typically rotted out. I just cut some the other day and found it fairly easy to split with my Fiskars Super Splitter. I love cutting stuff like this and being able to burn it right away.

Just pointing out the obvious, green wood cuts way easier than seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.