very large white oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been there, done that. Lots of good firewood in a trunk of that size. It'll be a bit annoying to split the areas from which the limbs originated because of the strange grain, but it'd be a waste to just roll that into the woods to rot. If you have the right tools for the job, it's not that bad. If you don't, then it will be frustrating as hell.

Here's a larger white oak that got turned into firewood. The ability to make full-width cuts with long bars made the process a lot less difficult.

Trunk.jpg

60_inch_cut.jpg

Brandon_084.jpg

Ed_1.jpg

Close_up.jpg

Rounds.jpg

Blocking.jpg

Firewood_Train.jpg

Wow!!!
I need a couple shots a few beers and a handful of vitamin A just from looking at the pics!

Nice toys too!

Locust! I love, just love, the firewood tracking spreadsheet. You are a man after my own heart.

I just split up some 36" ash, sure there is alot of wood there. but just the bucking and moving and splitting is a huge PITA. Not to mention the risk of injury doing this. But since this is whats most available to me Ill carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.