very little left, so I'm calling it quits for the season....kinda.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
If I burn non-stop I think I have maybe two weeks MAX of seasoned wood left. I went away for the weekend and the stove was cool when I got home. Didn't bother to get it started back up. The lows won't be too bad for this week (mid 20s) and the furnace should be able to take care of that.

I do have to admit that it was kinda nice to not have to reload in the night/this morning (I generally reload around 3am or so).

I really really really need to get some stuff split out in the yard. Next year is gonna require some major chimney cleaning because the stuff has been stacked in rounds and not even split yet. at least 1/2 of it was standing dead, but a lot of oak, so I dunno at this point.

I admit it, I've been slacking. I didn't split more than ONE time all winter long. I always had some excuse. too cold, hurt my back pretty bad once (not wood related), had a bad cold recently, was building a shed last fall, helping a friend try to get some construction done before they have a baby. I know there is no GOOD excuse for my lack of preparedness, but I either need to rent a splitter or get to work with the maul REAL fast to get it seasoning.....

Once the snow goes down a little more around here I'm not going to be home for probably a few weeks. My goal is to get all my wood split and stacked while the ground is still frozen. I've been slacking too, but I'm already ahead of where I was last year, which was ahead of the year before. Live and learn.

Danno, in your case I would highly recommend renting a splitter ASAP. Your lack of preparation means you very well might not have a good burning season next winter.

As for weather coming up, you shouldn't have to use much oil or gas as the temperatures in March will mostly be warm compared to February. Also, for our area the average temperature for March rises 13 degrees from March 1 until March 31. We generally get more sunshine in March also but the nights can get pretty chilly.

Backwoods Savage said:
you very well might not have a good burning season next winter.
yeah, very worried about that. I know I can get the unseasoned stuff to burn, but I feel like I'm throwing my hard work up the chimney by burning less than ideal wood. When I started out this fall I was excited because I had plenty of seasoned wood, and in my "to be split" pile I had a good year and a half worth. The plan was to slowly, but surely, build up my three year stash. I have some more wood to bring home from the timber, but conditions aren't permitting right now. I really need to see what I can get ahold of in terms of a splitter.

HOW long will it take someone who's never laid hands on a power splitter to get through 4 cords?

How long? That depends more on the man rather than the splitter. If the man is in reasonably good shape and runs the splitter right he can do the 4 cords in a day easily. To make it go the fastest one might have someone bring the logs to him so he doesn't have to reach or get up from his perch. Even if one does it wrong by splitting horizontally, having an extra hand to bring the wood to him will speed things up nicely. However, I am not in good shape and am no longer a young man but I could split 4 cords of wood by myself in a day using my 20 ton splitter.

Just called rental place right down the road from me. $20 a day for a "big" splitter. He didn't know what it was rated at. Didn't know it would be so cheap. First nice weekend I'll go get 'er.

Wow. It would be difficult buying a splitter if rent is that cheap. Good luck.

I have never used a power splitter, but I bet the tough part of using a splitter is the same as the tough part of splitting by hand - moving the wood to the splitting location, moving it onto the splitter, moving it away, etc. The actual splitting probably won't take long. The question is how close can you get the splitter to rounds, and how much space do you have for the operation? If you have a nice arrangement of wood, splitter and stacks, I bet you can get twice as much done as you could if you had a less favorable arrangement. It is all about logistics when you're processing wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wow. It would be difficult buying a splitter if rent is that cheap. Good luck.
That's what i was thinking. Even if you did a basic "used my splitter X days over it's life" then you still can't argue with the fact that it's someone else's splitter! I almost wish I never knew how cheap it is. We'll see how I like it.

I'm probably gonna get all fat and lazy now. Last winter I got a little bit of a gut, because I didn't do a whole lot of cardio, but at least I maintained my strength by splitting wood. This winter I feel pretty weak and I've put on 12+ lbs of blubber all in the mid section.

Wood Duck said:
I have never used a power splitter, but I bet the tough part of using a splitter is the same as the tough part of splitting by hand - moving the wood to the splitting location, moving it onto the splitter, moving it away, etc. The actual splitting probably won't take long. The question is how close can you get the splitter to rounds, and how much space do you have for the operation? If you have a nice arrangement of wood, splitter and stacks, I bet you can get twice as much done as you could if you had a less favorable arrangement. It is all about logistics when you're processing wood.
I think I've got it covered. I've got the wood to split all stacked in a nice location, and I have plenty of space for a big pile of split wood right near there. My wife may not like several cords in a pile in the front yard, but I'm not really gonna ask, lol. Since I've got room to get it split quickly I'm just gonna toss it and then worry about stacking it when I've got the splitter back at the rental place. The thing that may add time to the process is that I'm gonna have to make smaller than normal splits to maximize the drying this year.

Wood Duck said:

For sure that is a big part of it. That is why when we cut the wood during winter we stack it. In Spring we split it by placing the splitter right next to the stacks. It is easy to split a bit and then just move the splitter ahead some. Do that for each row and things go relatively quick and easy.

One big part that most folks miss with hydraulic splitters is that when you hit the lever to raise the ram they just let it go all the way up and it shut off automatically. However, if the ram has a 24" stroke and you are splitting 16" logs, if you have to wait each time for that ram to travel the extra 8" that is time lost. It does not seem like much but if you are splitting 3 cord or more that is a lot of stokes. A few seconds turn into minutes fast and minutes turn into hours. (Just a little tip from Uncle Dennis.)

Danno, do you really think your wife would think these wood piles are ugly? Well, I admit that I had not yet cleaned up around the stacks and later that same year (in late November) we also coverd the tops, but I do not think they are ugly in any manner. I personally get much enjoyment just looking at them every time I pass them.

Wood-2009c.gif

$ 20 to rent a splitter is awesome. Most are $ 90 + a day around here. I found one at $ 60 and felt that was a bargin. At $ 20 a day - I wouldn't need to rush.

My wife gives me grief about where I stacked my wood. She doesn't like that it can be seen by the road - she says I'm braggin. I chose the spot because of the wind on the hill and the full sun. I like to think those rows of splits are sun bathing.

Danno - I do the same thing. Get everything staged and lined up for the rental. Split like a mad man - and let the pile grow. I don't stack until the rented splitter is returned. Your wife will get over it. Depending on the wood - I wouldn't split too small. The Oak - I would split small otherwise - set it aside for the following year.

February's snow has really set me back. I've got maybe 3-4 cords of maple rounds, I was hoping to have split and stacked by now. They are buried in 2 feet of snow and I'd have to dig them out to get them split now. I am hoping for some melting this week so I can hit them this weekend. I hope we have a hot dry summer so I can burn this maple come next winter.

Backwoods Savage said:
Danno, do you really think your wife would think these wood piles are ugly? Well, I admit that I had not yet cleaned up around the stacks and later that same year (in late November) we also coverd the tops, but I do not think they are ugly in any manner. I personally get much enjoyment just looking at them every time I pass them.

Wood-2009c.gif

Really nice stacks, I'd like to learn how to do that! Danno77 I feel ya I'm down to one row under storage with a full month left I may be buying a little to get by till spring.

70marlin, there is not much to it. Just stack fairly neat on the way up. For the ends you notice I use mostly square or rectangle splits which makes building the ends easier and they are stronger. After I split wood this spring, come on up and I'll let you practice on my wood piles. lol

Danno77 said:
Just called rental place right down the road from me. $20 a day for a "big" splitter. He didn't know what it was rated at. Didn't know it would be so cheap. First nice weekend I'll go get 'er.

Wait......What?
First nice weekend is this one, damn the weather. If it's not pouring rain, go get it. You'll be glad to have it done.
I agree with others here, get a couple friends, buy the beer and pizza, and git 'er done!
Like Dennis said, if someone can get you the rounds, and move splits, it really helps speed things up.

PapaDave said:
Danno77 said:

Wait......What?
First nice weekend is this one, damn the weather. If it's not pouring rain, go get it. You'll be glad to have it done.
I agree with others here, get a couple friends, buy the beer and pizza, and git 'er done!
Like Dennis said, if someone can get you the rounds, and move splits, it really helps speed things up.
I only got two friends that aren't afraid of men's work. One has some work to finish up before his baby comes, the other is my BIL who lives 45 minutes away. I'm not afraid to work alone, though. Hope the outlook changes, cause this weekend would be good for me....

NOAA.GOV" date=" said:
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Friday Night: A slight chance of rain or freezing rain after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Sunday: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.

Sunday Night: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Monday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52.

Monday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Tuesday: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 46.

Danno
Looks like weather shouldn't be too bad. Working alone isn't too bad either, and that's usually how I end up getting it done. Just takes longer. Is this stuff already bucked up?
You could, if you're in pretty good shape, get most if not all done in a day. I can split 1/3 cord in under an hour, so that would mean 10-12 hours here. I can't work that long.
There would be no walking for a day if I did that. :-S

WELLLLLLLL, maybe the bucked wood I had stacked actually shrunk in size over the winter, or my memory made the stack bigger than it is, because I have 1 3/4 cords (if I'm lucky). I have a bunch more bucked and stacked out at the timber, but the ground is such that I don't really want to go get it right now. at least not with the trailer and the Jeep. I'm still looking for the right truck.......

I like to split when the weather is cool , just get a good bunch of rounds ready and either throw splits into a trailer or a pile if you in the storage area. I find it takes me a couple of hours to do a cord not including stacking neatly and that's with having a bunch of rounds staged and working alone.
Stay safe and use caution, wear hearing and eye protection and watch for rounds to kick out of the splitter. Depending on the style make sure to line up a flat end of the log against the ram if it is not totally flat it may shift and shoot off the side of the splitter . I just had one do it last week and because I was standing too far forward it kicked out and hit me just below the knee boy does that leave a mark ! Keep yours and your helpers hands clear when running the ram and don't put yourself behind the splitter to catch the rounds as some will split and shoot off the end of the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.