very pleased with a vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasten

Nov 11, 2007
Upstate NY
As some of you that have provided input on my prior posts know, I finally "upgraded" from the steel Magnolia stove to a Vermont castings vigilant 1977 (old school), I know that there are a lot of Nay sayers out there that will say this was the wrong thing to do.

But I couldn't be happier, for example it was 5 deg outside lastnight without the windchill and that stove chugged along with a flue temp of only 275-300 and the room that the stove was in was an easy 80 deg. Something that the magnolia with a larger firebox and EPA certified secondary combustion chamber was never able to accomplish.. even when outside temps were much higher. I have had warmer nights in the 30's where the kids told me they couldn't sleep upstairs in the back of the house because it was too warm in their rooms. When it is up into the 40's there are days I let the furnace run because it cranks so much heat. Same house, chimney, and pretty much wood, and style of burning only difference is the stove.

I am sold on this stove, it took a lot of convincing for me to even try the stove, the seller of the stove worked on me for a year to at least try it, and finally told me to just take the stove run it for a few months and see if it heats better than my current stove at the time. Like most people I assumed that newer technology was the way to go (and for some it is). But for me the old school seems to be a lot better. Funny part is after the first week of test driving the Vigilant my son told me to buy this and sell the newer stove because it was out performing the other stove.

I am learning every day about the stove, like when it is above 25 outside just put 1-2 pieces of wood in at a time. As far as it being a smoke dragon, I really don't notice it being that bad, I can get my flue temps up pretty high if I choose more than once the flue has read over 700, so no smoke in that range, and I do try to hold it at that range for a few minutes every couple of days to clean the chimney, and the thing I now laugh about is that at a certain point the auto thermostat (damper) will shut down after a short while in that range and drop the flue temps to with in a safer range. Even if I forget to adjust the thermostat or flip the damper the stove remembers.

I am currently running it from the 8 in oval to a 6" SS chimney, and have been contemplating upgrading to an 8" SS as recommended by VC to see if it would perform even better. My only concern now is when I do run it in Horizontal mode to get that new fangleded secondary combustion to make it heat more and smoke less, the stove temp drops too low to me, and the flue temps drop to around 250. From what I have heard I guess that could be a normal range for this stove to run in when in horizontal. I can say that when the secondary does kick in you know it because you can hear it roar, so there is no doubt those gases are being ignited.

Its a shame that they really don't make them like this anymore, and I tend to be a firm believer that when something works this well the Govt always finds a way to mess it up. _g

Bottom line would I recommend one of these, in a heartbeat, just do your research on the stove, do your light test to check the seams and joints, make sure the fire back is not cracked etc.
Then get ready for odd looks like I did from my oil dealer when I told them I only wanted one tank of oil for the entire year lol.

Glad ya found a heater that works for ya.

If I read your post correctly you are running in vertical mode mostly? That is not the recommended way to go and you are probably using a lot more wood that you should. The stove was designed to run in horizontal mode. I think that you are not getting the stove hot enough before switching to horizontal.What seems to happen with my stove is that you switch to vertical and get the 'roar' which slowly dies away. I suspect this is because there is a lot of cool metal in the secondary area to heat up and this lowers the stove temp to the levels you state. I sometimes switch back to vertical for a couple of minutes to reheat the stove then try horizontal again. I seldom get much of a secondary roar unless the thermostat is wide open. ( I left it like that once when I first fired the stove and nearly melted the thing, nearly set fire to the curtains from the radiant heat and generally got rather toooooooo hot). I always leave the stove in vertical mode after refuelling for 5-10 mins then switch to horizontal and then turn the thermostat down to low position and just leave it. I don't get a roar but I do get an enormous amount of heat and about 4 hours burn time for 4 -5 big splits. If I refuel at 20:00 there are usually enough coals left at 08:00 to restart it with small kindleing.
In my opinion the stove doesn't generally 'do' secondary burning, it tries but fails unless you have it wide open and I can't take that amount of heat. It does however kick out enough heat to keep me very happy even if it is inefficent.
Some tips for usage, just incase you haven't noticed them yet. The little circular hole covered with a spring loaded slideing flap on the left outside near the bottom of the stove should be left open. When you clear out the ash ensure that the small holes in the back plate inside the stove are cleared out. Don't let the ash build up over them. Keep the air tube at the inside front left side, just inside the left door clear. Also rake the ash away from underneath that pipe, it has a slot underneath it to admit air. (Have a feel with your fingers when it is cold). Don't ever open the stove in vertical mode as I think that could emit Carbon monoxide into the room. I remove the excess ash once a day. I scrape all the coals to the extreme right side of the stove.Shovel all the ash into a steel bucket down to the bottom of the stove so that the front to back bars are just visible. Then scape the coals and remaining ash back evenly over the base, add kindling and away it goes. I open both doors and hold the bucket right into the stove and tip the shovels of ash slowly into the bucket. Most of the fly ash goes up the chimney if you are careful. Take the bucket outside immediately especially if it is galvanised.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.