very relevant news article on heating oil this coming winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockreid

May 7, 2008
Stamford, CT
Seems like my thinking process is merely a small part of a major concern- the fact that a lot of people (esp. here in the NE) are thinking ahead till next winter when there are going to be a lot of freezing cold people who simply cannot afford to turn on their heat. It really is a dangerous situation and a lot of people are going to be very cold because they simply cannot afford to burn $5/gal oil.

I recently put 2 and 2 together and figured heating oil was going to $5 this next winter or higher, and since there are no shortage of oak trees here in Stamford, it would make sense to make use of their heating ability. Thanks to this forum I was quickly able to learn a great deal about fireplace inserts inside of a month and installed a Jotul Rockland (that I have documented here w/ pics a few weeks ago). I have 1 cord of wood seasoning right now and am going to start a massive stock-up of split cords during this entire summer. Hopefully I can accumulate enough wood for 3 cords of seasoned wood this winter with more cords seasoning for next year. This AP news article I li ked below makes me think there is going to be a run on any alternative heat sources that will increase as this summer comes to a close. I'm glad I had my Jotul install taken care of before the rush, because fireplace inserts and stoves could be in short supply up here when it turns colder.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jB1iz_v2c5NmDIa0f6zV5X0VajugD911E7P80

Remember white oak needs a couple years to season.

While it's good to plan ahead, there is no certainty about what prices will be in the fall. Folks may have other alternatives that will pay off regardless. They can spend time caulking, insulating and getting storm windows and putting up insulating curtains up this summer. If the place is a big breezy barn, maybe consider closing off part of the house for winter.

Rocky, I'll second what BeGreen wrote about oak needing more time to season. Perhaps you should be getting some other wood on hand fast! If you buy from a dealer, do not expect what he sells to be seasoned, no matter what they tell you.

If you do not let wood season, it will take more wood than normal to heat your home, if you can heat it at all and you will get a lot of creosote, which can be a big fire hazard.

Yes Rocky, go for Ash or Willow if you can find it. They do not have a high BTU value but should season quickly. Some here will argue that green ash is already seasoned when felled.

That said, you could split your wood smaller. That will accelerate seasoning and you may just be ready for the winter. Shorter lengths seem to season quicker than smaller widths.

Many of us have had to deal with a less than optimum first year.

I'm going to second (or third) the comments on oak seasoning; at least a whole year and preferably two to do it justice. I found maple to be fairly quick to season but YMMV.

Biggest problem you are going to have is staring at that new stove all summer in anticipation...

Chris

Dave_1 said:
Look around for a downed tree, that has not been de-limbed.

That wood split will be ready for this winter if it is allowed to dry in the sun & protected from rain.

Good hunting.

There's dead standing too, but take extra care when cutting them down. It's good to work in partners and if you can get a hard hat, it's worth it.

TGun9590 said:
I am in the same boat, brand new stove, brand new wood, i hope it's dry by winter.

I was in the same boat last year. The oak I had at the time had only been seasoning for a little under a year. It burned fine, although it was still a little wet.....you could see some water coming out of the ends when you first put a split on the coals. I only had to clean the screen on my chimney cap once durring the burning season. Just keep an eye on your chimney and you'll be fine.

Incidentally, I just called Dead River (my oil company) and #2 is selling for $4.75/gal....and its only the end of June. at this rate $5/gal or more come fall shouldn't be a streatch.

My local Home Depot is completely sold out of electric hot water heaters. Luckily my brother-in-law is an AM there, and is having one from another store shipped there for me. Wood stove for heat, electric hotwater heater for DHW, and the 1/4 tank of #2 I have left will be for back up heat in the furnace.

I'm done financing greed.....at least to the fullest extent I can be.

If I did'nt need oil for back up I would unplug the beast from the Chimney and throw in a nice #118 Jotel and be done with it. It's just those damn weekends away that I need the oil. How low can you keep the thermostat? 60...50?

I set ours at 60, but since our son was born last Jan, we didn't go away anywhere for a weekend. I would think you could drop down to 50 or so...especially if your house is well insulated. I don't think I'd want to go below that though.

I read somewhere that drywall will crack at the seams at 55 degrees...

burntime said:
I read soemwhere that drywall will crack at the seams at 55 degrees...

Our high taxes paid for an unused elementary school to be kept at 55 degrees last year because the lath was coming off the plaster . . or least that's the b/s we were fed

TGun9590 said:
Incidentally, I just called Dead River (my oil company) and #2 is selling for $4.75/gal....and its only the end of June. at this rate $5/gal or more come fall shouldn't be a streatch.

Holey chit! . .. parents use an oil fired furnace and they are coming in for a week long visit . .I'm not going to hear the end of it

Status
Not open for further replies.