Very Short Logs, Stacking on End

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I got a great score this week, which will give me about two year's worth of heating. I have a month to buck it and drive it down the street to my house.

BunnyWood1_zps099d4144.jpg

That picture just shows one of two big piles, and I'd already removed five truckloads when that picture was taken.

Here's the thing. I'm getting older, and decided to cut shorter logs. This makes it easier for me to lift them into the truck and (hand) splitting will be a breeze. However, they don't stack well when they are that narrow. Here's how I've stack the rounds:

EndStackedWood_zps2e051956.jpg

They'll be like this until I get a chance to split them.

I'm guessing that they won't dry as well in this configuration. Also, maybe the rain will soak in more if I don't cover the pile.

What do you think? Have you ever stacked rounds like this?

That's a lot of cutting!

Good job on that score - that's tremendous!

As for the rounds, I generally don't think wood dries in the round no matter how you stack it. I would split as soon as I can.

I have started cutting shorter pieces as well. I have a Fisher Papa Bear which can take 30" logs, so I usually try to cut about 14" pieces, and I can fit two in. Much easier to split and load for sure.

That's a nice score. I think the open end grain is going to pull in more water as stacked, than the surface grain would if it was stacked typical. But if you can cover it, when you get it split it will be a shorter dry cycle than if it was cut longer.

Nice cache of firewood there. Shorter rounds sure do make for easier lifting and splitting, but the stacking for no logical reason just looks...... unnatural.

Nice score.

Any wood you'll need for next year, I'd get it split & stacked first so it's dry when you need it.
If any of it is oak, give it 2 to 3 years after split & stacked.

Do what works best for you & your stove.
My stove likes 17" wood. So I mark & cut 17".

I agree with you, not gonna dry much the way it's stacked.
Starts drying after it's split & stacked

Have never stacked that way.
I think it'll stack much better when split ;)

Great score! You're gonna be at that for a while.

Since you have cut them a little short, I think you are right that the stacks may fall over. You could try to "cross-tie" in your rows. What I mean is, you cut a limb ( I have a bunch of 2" dia hedge branches just for this) to the same length as two rows wide. Then when you go to stack them, build in the cross-tie pieces where every you feel its needed to keep the rows supporting each other. I have even built a two row stack and, left a space, and then another two row stack, and crosstied them together as I went up. The point is, that you can help stabilize one row by supporting it with another.
Like Dave says...
Do what works best for you & your stove.​

Also, you can try to keep the fattest end of each split on the outside, so that as you build up the two rows lean IN onto each other. Just a thought.

Reactions: ailanthus
You could put down a couple rows of pallets and just pile the rounds randomly. Might not look as neat in the short term, but the end grain would generally be exposed and the pile would be stable.

Good score, but I don't see those rounds drying well like that as your cut ends are being blocked from letting moisture leave by the other rounds.

If anything, I've found if I want a piece of wood to rot, putting it on end is the way to speed the process up if uncovered.

If lifting the heavy rounds was the issue, I think cutting to a normal length, the simply whacking them in 1/2 before loading would be a better all around solution.

In all, I believe you'll be best served if you rethink this approach.

pen

Being in "the burbs" wood storage space is important to me. I need quick turnaround times with my wood so I do a little extra stacking. I roll rounds from the pile to the chopping block. Once a decent sized pile of splits are established, I stack them immediately in a pre-staged area. Therefore my wood is stacked the very same day it is split to give me the most amount of seasoning time. Once my current racks are empty, the already stacked wood gets stacked again. It is what I have to do with the space I have. No sense in trying to season a round. Ain't gonna work.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great score! I use Pen's approach of knocking the rounds in 1/2 or even 1/4's to reduce weight & preserve length. Then stack them the "normal" way till I get them spilt. I too think they may not do well on end like that. That being said, do whatever it takes to get that stuff home to use.
Off subject, I like the safety gear, how do you like those boots? A C

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I got a great score this week, which will give me about two year's worth of heating. I have a month to buck it and drive it down the street to my house.

That picture just shows one of two big piles, and I'd already removed five truckloads when that picture was taken.

Here's the thing. I'm getting older, and decided to cut shorter logs. This makes it easier for me to lift them into the truck and (hand) splitting will be a breeze. However, they don't stack well when they are that narrow. Here's how I've stack the rounds:

They'll be like this until I get a chance to split them.

I'm guessing that they won't dry as well in this configuration. Also, maybe the rain will soak in more if I don't cover the pile.

What do you think? Have you ever stacked rounds like this?

It is understandable why you are cutting shorter logs and there should be no problem with it except for stacking and loading the stove. However, you can no doubt live with that.

As for stacking vertically, it will work in the stove but not a good idea outdoors. You no doubt have noticed many times after you cut wood that the ends will crack. Some folks take that to mean the wood is dry. However, all it really means is that the ends are drying and not the center of the wood.

So I'd suggest getting the wood split as soon as possible to make sure they dry nicely. Don't try to stack the wood very high else it will be a problem for tipping over.

Also that is great you are getting that wood. The saw looks a bit small but no doubt it is up to the task; just a little slower. Most of us can live with that. Good luck.

Reactions: ScotO
I have not had good results stacking rounds the way yours are stacked. They seem to absorb water when stacked vertically. It probably ins't a big deal for a few months, but I would try to get them stacked horizontally ASAP.

Off subject, I like the safety gear, how do you like those boots? A C

I like them. I would like them to be thicker on the front of the ankle.

I got these on eBay, and they were slightly too large, but I put an extra insole in them, and they're fine. I wouldn't want to hike with them, though.

The saw looks a bit small but no doubt it is up to the task; just a little slower. Most of us can live with that. Good luck.

For a while I regretted not going larger, but as long as I keep the chain very sharp, it works great. I chose this one because it was lighter and cheaper than the next one up.

Today I was cutting rounds that were just an inch wider than the bar, but it cut them easily.

I covered up what I have so far. I've got 2-3 cords, and I'm about halfway done.

BunnyWoodFirstStack_zps439fc779.jpg

Reactions: amateur cutter
Status
Not open for further replies.