Very tempting, but is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/for/2437155928.html

Firewood, Ash - $100 (Dudley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-06-13, 6:26AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a small wood yard and export Ash logs of which we have trim and end cut that are great for firewood. Ash is one of the best firewoods in that it splits easy and burns clean. Our trucks has a 16 foot long and 8 foot wide bed which delivers you 2 cords of wood, (a cord is 128 cubic feet), the wood will need to be cut and split. We will deliver and dump wood in the Wayne County area for the stated price but will have to charge more for longer hauls

He has pics on the ad.

I wouldnt worry about it if 2/3 of my supply wasnt oak cut this past winter.

My concern is if its a) worth it b) will season by this winter (maybe) c) where it came from.

Its a guarantee that the wood is all sorts of sizes and some of the pics look like hollow logs... what do yall think?

Ash will burn fine this fall. The log I just milled was fell last spring buck and split a week ago its ready now!

A - should burn fine this fall

B - your getting what he cant use so yes some short cut offs and hollow stuff. Sounds like a fair deal for the price.

At least he knows what a cord is!

Sounds like a good deal to me.

We love ash. great stuff. drys quick. thumbs up.

I don't think I've ever cut a hollow ash, though all I've cut is white ash. Sounds like a good deal. Split it tomorrow, might be okay.

For $100 I'd take a chance. If it's nearby, and you're concerned about what you'll get, why not swing by their yard and see what it looks like? If it's not seasoned by this year, you can always burn it next year.

"My concern is if its a) worth it b) will season by this winter (maybe) c) where it came from."

Ash is indeed great for firewood. Normally about 35% moisture when cut green. Cut to size and split then stacked out in the wind will dry well enough to burn by fall. We usually cut during the winter months and then split and stack in the spring. When stacking, we usually go to 4 1/2' high and by October that will be down to 4' high so you can imagine how much moisture has gone from it just over the summer.

Worth it? At $100 per cord it would be hard to pass up.

Where it came from? I doubt you need to be concerned about this unless you have some quarantine areas. If so, then they would have a big problem as usually quarantine areas will not allow anyone to move wood out of the county. However, if it is the EAB you are concerned about, I doubt that would be that much of a concern. Those borers will take all the ash eventually and the quarantine basically does very little. After all, those critters do fly and county lines mean nothing to them.

$50/cord for ash delivered, yep that is worth it.

$50 per cord for raw logs, delivered. . . . that comes pretty damn close to "worth it" to me (assuming it's 2 actual cords)

I called the guy and hes about an hour away. He said its too far for delivery but if I wanted to I could pick it up from his yard. He has all sorts of species of wood and said itd only be about $20 a pick up load of Ash. I could use a 10ft trailer if I wanted to and Im sure it would be a little bit more.

So should I go for it? It would be atleast another week before I could get down there.

If nothing else he said he has wood year round he's trying to sell (end cuts from lumber).

Remmy122 said:
I called the guy and hes about an hour away. He said its too far for delivery but if I wanted to I could pick it up from his yard. He has all sorts of species of wood and said itd only be about $20 a pick up load of Ash. I could use a 10ft trailer if I wanted to and Im sure it would be a little bit more.

So should I go for it? It would be atleast another week before I could get down there.

If nothing else he said he has wood year round he's trying to sell (end cuts from lumber).

How much can you haul in one load?

9x6 truck and 12x6 trailer. sooo roughly 154 cubic foot? math is not my area of expertize.

the truck bed would be $20, Im hoping I can offer $50 for both. with gas for travel would put be around $65 a cord... Yep, Talked myself into it there.

I might try and talk him into dumping it up here for another $25. fair offer?

He is in Wayne Co NC, if any one in the area is looking for wood. Hes very straight up about what he has. he doesnt prentend its seasoned or try and short sale you, he just wants it off his landing and is trying to make a few bucks while hes at it (cant blame him for that).

Ash is among my favorite woods to burn . . . and process . . . splits like a dream and burns wicked good. Decent price on ends . . . if I didn't have free access to wood I would be on top of this deal . . . well that and if I didn't live all the way here in Maine . . .

Please let us know how you turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.