VF170 Acting Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomandcow

Jan 7, 2017
Mass
Hello,

I have a Vistaflame VF170 that I have had for 5 years now. Recently, whether running in Manual, Hi/Low, or Auto/Off modes, the stove will randomly turn itself on and off. I can hear the board clicking rapidly a few times and the stove will sometimes turn back on and other times turn off. Even when set to manual mode this happens. I have a feeling that it could be the power relays on the circuit board but before I spend several hundred dollars on a new one, I was hoping someone might be able to give me a bit of insight as to what could be happening.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Welcome to the forum and sorry no one got back to you. Any control board code flashes? Some things to check before you jump to the control board ... always unplug before working in the cabinet.
When was the last time you pulled the exhaust blower and cleaned the fins (get a gasket first)? Last deep clean (stove internal exhaust pathway and venting)? Have you blown out the motor windings as dust bunnies that collect there can be motor killers? Checked to see if it needs lubrication (3-in-1 electric motor oil) by looking for oiling ports (manual doesn't seem to mention)? You could check voltage to blower page 19 of the manual
http://www.vistaflame.ca/Manuals/C-11573 Instruction VF170 Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

Have you tried a temporary by-pass on the high limit sensor? The clicking could be the sensor too... Cleaned the convection blower?

Checked your gaskets using the dollar bill test? If they haven't been changed yet, they are likely due... Graphite impregnated gaskets seem to have a longer lifespan.

Keep us posted on what you find out...

Edit: Sherwood Industries also makes Enviro pellet stoves. Vista Flame 170 is likely just a rebranded stove but not sure which one.
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-12145 Instruction PELLET Service Manual.pdf

Welcome to the forum and sorry no one got back to you. Any control board code flashes? Some things to check before you jump to the control board ... always unplug before working in the cabinet.
When was the last time you pulled the exhaust blower and cleaned the fins (get a gasket first)? Last deep clean (stove internal exhaust pathway and venting)? Have you blown out the motor windings as dust bunnies that collect there can be motor killers? Checked to see if it needs lubrication (3-in-1 electric motor oil) by looking for oiling ports (manual doesn't seem to mention)? You could check voltage to blower page 19 of the manual
http://www.vistaflame.ca/Manuals/C-11573 Instruction VF170 Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

Have you tried a temporary by-pass on the high limit sensor? The clicking could be the sensor too... Cleaned the convection blower?

Checked your gaskets using the dollar bill test? If they haven't been changed yet, they are likely due... Graphite impregnated gaskets seem to have a longer lifespan.

Keep us posted on what you find out...

Edit: Sherwood Industries also makes Enviro pellet stoves. Vista Flame 170 is likely just a rebranded stove but not sure which one.
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-12145 Instruction PELLET Service Manual.pdf
Thanks for getting back! You packed a lot in there, so I will try to go through the list as much as I can.
1. The only control board flash is the mode light blinking when the stove kicks off. This is what usually happens when the stove runs out of pellets. However, the stove still has plenty of pellets.
2. I haven't cleaned the blower but I'm not sure I understand how this would cause the problem since the stove can run 12 hours at a stretch without problem before turning on and off sporadically.
3. Same as 2, not done but not sure how this would cause the rapid on/off issue.
4. The motor windings are fairly clear and well covered from dust exposure.
5. I don't think the blower has lubricant ports and voltage appears fine since it runs smoothly when the stove is calling for heat.
6. I have bypassed the high limit and the exhaust sensors but that did not seem to solve the problem. I did this one at a time though so if both are acting up, I guess that could be it. I will try bypassing both and let you know. I am also going to bypass the vacuum sensor to see if that is an issue.
7. What is the dollar bill test? My gaskets seem to be fine but maybe not?

I will try a few more things and post back. Thanks again!
-Tom

Do you have access so you can pinpoint source of the click?
Sensors are a relatively inexpensive repair so that would be one of the first things to rule out.

If there are vacuum problems, lack of cleanliness of the internal exhaust path (including the exhaust blower blades) and a poor seal on the door gasket can generate those (dollar bill or similar paper closed in the door; pulls out fairly easily means time to change the gaskets).

Blower motors do have a shut down mechanism for when the motor itself actually overheats (which would be dust bunnies on the windings or blades binding due to compacted ash; convection blowers choked with animal hair/dust). Not saying this is the problem but they always perform better with routine cleaning.

If, in the end, it turns out to be the board, there are services that will repair them.
api-assembled
heatwave electronics

There are a couple more but can't think of them off hand ... you could search board repair to see what shows up.

So the problem is solved! It turns out it was the ON/OFF switch. On this stove, the power button is a 6mm x 6mm temporary switch. Dust had gotten into the switch over time and was causing false presses which was causing the stove to act up. I had ruled out all other possible problems by thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the back of the stove. As I was trying to figure this all out, it reminded me of a computer mouse I have that goes click happy because the mouse has the same problem. With that thought, I brought the board in to my local computer/electronics shop and had them swap out the button. It is a surface mount button so it took all of 15 minutes for them to switch it and cost me $10! Bingo, stove has been running fine for over a day and no more problem.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
-Tom

Reactions: Lake Girl
Compressed air can be your friend! Took my stove down yesterday for cleaning that included canned air. Sprayed the boards (mother and daughter) with the vacuum running nearby to swallow the dust that was loosened up. Not sure if the dust would contribute to a short but a few extra minutes isn't a big deal...

Hey quick question on my VF170 I had to jump the low pressure switch as I had no heat. I ordered the sensor and I have to wait about 10 days. Will Having this circuit jumped for extended periods cause issues? Is it safe? It is running very good and pumping great...

Hey quick question on my VF170 I had to jump the low pressure switch as I had no heat. I ordered the sensor and I have to wait about 10 days. Will Having this circuit jumped for extended periods cause issues? Is it safe? It is running very good and pumping great...
You should only run stove when you are around, so you can keep an eye on it. That's the general consensus. But I would be more worried if it was the high cut off switch.

You jumped the low temp switch or the vac switch?
Eather one only run the stove when you are there they are both safety switches