Vibration Isolator w/ Wood Furnaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdew1920

Jan 29, 2008
Michigan
For those with add-ons or stand alone wood furnaces, do you use a flexible transition piece (vibration isolator I guess) between your plenum and duct work? I'm installing an add on and wondered if I need to remove this and replace with sheet metal. I have no idea if it's fire resistant or not. Just worried since they have required clearances to the duct work and this is basically part of the duct. Maybe they make some that are fire proof? I'm having this install inspected and want to be sure I don't get dinged for anything plus I want it to be safe.

Thanks

I'd remove it. Just install a sheetmetal takeoff. Rather be safe than sorry.

Most of the ones I've seen are only rated for 200F or so. I also think I'd take it out. I don't think you are going to have a lot of vibration in a furnace that heavy, but a piece of flexible aluminum duct would isolate things pretty well.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.