Video link to Pellet Stove Cleaning with Leaf Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdjs

Dec 6, 2008
western MA
I took a video of cleaning the pellet stove with a leaf blower.
I only had about 20 days of burning but you can see all the ash that comes out from it.
I borrowed a Toro leaf blower with a vacuum attachement and a little duct tape to seal it and that all I did.

Enjoy

Just think of how much comes out after a ton!!!

How's that Pepin working for you?... same stove as I have.

This is my third season using the Pepin.
Love it
For such a small stove it can put out some tremendous heat.
My only complaint is the small pellet bin. I have to get an extension hopper.

wow....!!

I wonder if there's a way to protect the vinyl siding of the house when the dust is flying all over, eventually some ash will adhere to the siding somehow.

geek said:
wow....!!

I wonder if there's a way to protect the vinyl siding of the house when the dust is flying all over, eventually some ash will adhere to the siding somehow.

I have vinyl and there's no soot on mine after about 5 cleanings.

jamesdjs said:
This is my third season using the Pepin.
Love it
For such a small stove it can put out some tremendous heat.
My only complaint is the small pellet bin. I have to get an extension hopper.

That's supposed to be a 40 lb. hopper... maybe 40 lbs. of rock not pellets.

I can 90% fill my extension with one bag of softwood pellets... hardwoods fill it a little less.

What do you do about the vacuum switch? Do you keep the door open or closed?

Cool Video..................

tjnamtiw said:
What do you do about the vacuum switch? Do you keep the door open or closed?

I've never had a problem with the vacuum switch. My dealer, who showed me this shortcut, doesn't disconnect the switch when they do a service so I don't... dosen't seem to matter.

I don't think you'll build up enough vacuum to hurt anything... your leafblower connection AND the blower itself would have to be a lot stronger than mine.

I opened the door on mine when I did this.

Mark :)

QuadraBurner said:
Nice video! I think my neighbors would freak out if I tried this...

I DID learn to move my wife's car first.... Lately I open and close the door, too. But I didn't the first several times I did it. I never noticed any "vacuum" build-up in the stove.

I started with the pellet door open a little then I closed it for a few seconds then opened it again.
When I closed the door the vacuum would pull the pellets out of the auger.

jamesdjs said:
I started with the pellet door open a little then I closed it for a few seconds then opened it again.
I'm gonna have you build my next "adaptor"... mine's way too sloppy to do that... cheap labor!

krooser said:
jamesdjs said:
I'm gonna have you build my next "adaptor"... mine's way too sloppy to do that... cheap labor!

My adapter was good old duct tape.
Sealed it perfectly

Wow.....that's quite a bit of ash for just 20 days burning.....can I ask what brand pellets you were burning?

macman said:
Wow.....that's quite a bit of ash for just 20 days burning.....can I ask what brand pellets you were burning?
how can you tell?

no pane said:
macman said:
how can you tell?

Nothing scientific or anything....just seems to be quite a bit.....maybe it isn't.

macman said:

LG

Stupid question? Where is all that ash coming from? is that the ash that collects in the ash pan or just ash around the motors and stove itself?

KatWill said:
Stupid question? Where is all that ash coming from? is that the ash that collects in the ash pan or just ash around the motors and stove itself?

Not stupid, That's how you learn by asking.

The heavy ash stays in the stove and the lighter ash will exit and cling to the vent pipe. The ash will build up over time.

KatWill said:
The ash pan was cleaned out and the rest vacuum up before I did the leaf blower.
The rest came from behind the heat exchanger and what had built up in the exhaust.

Very Nice Video James, gonna have to get me one of them to monkey around with,lol..Thanks for posting it here for us to Enjoy, funny how small things like this amuse us all....My wife's like Ya, so what, SOOT, WOW! and then trudges back to Facebook. Go figure...

gutterboy2ca said:
Very Nice Video James, gonna have to get me one of them to monkey around with,lol..Thanks for posting it here for us to Enjoy, funny how small things like this amuse us all....My wife's like Ya, so what, SOOT, WOW! and then trudges back to Facebook. Go figure...
Most women don't appreciate the little things men enjoy.
My wife was so what!

nice job james :lol: ..... it does a great job too cleaning my CB1200...... I was thinking when the 'door open or closed' was mentioned..... I'll bet that with the door closed, the suction would clean right back to the air intake.... which would probably take care of any lint balls that might build up over time and clog the air intake chamber a bit ........either under the stove (like mine) or in the back...... thats one place that is pretty tough to get at without lifting the stove and never usually gets cleaned. .......ever move a piece of furniture or check your furnace filter or duct work? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.