Video of my new firewood sled in action

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapeer20m

Oct 17, 2013
Michigan
Here is a video i shot today of the new sled in action. Unfortunately the wooden skis proved to be too weak to handle the forces involved. It's back to the drawing board.....perhaps i'll use some 4x4 or 6x6 posts for skis.

Love that "honey badger" machine, what is it? The sled also needs a cool name once you get it sorted out.

...Dr. Dray Maybe? :)

Reactions: PapaDave
LOL I like your perspective shots, you are obviously willing to risk your camera to get those unique video angles.

It's a gopro. Completely waterproof, and the plastic case is replacable yet durable. I didn't mean to run it over with the sled, but fortunately the snow was deep enough there was no damage.

You know what would look great on that honey badger......

Just kidding.

Thanks for the update on the sled. With the weight involved, I would probably try to find a junk snowmobile and take the skis from that. That would also provide a pivot point and springs for going over rough trails.
I get doing it on the cheap, but a junk sled shouldn’t be too bad.

Love it!

How about using some old snowboards?

Is that a "muskeg" that you're pulling it with?

A must have if you like gathering wood in the snow. Pretty cool man.

The draft horse people have the ideas. The same sled designs as what they used to use to drag ice off the lakes in the winter for ice boxes.
They reinforce wood with steel. Maybe flatstock attached to the underside?
2 pieces of steel flatstock.

Is that a "muskeg" that you're pulling it with?

I was thinking the same thing . . . that it looked like a Bombardier Muskeg.

These are rather common around my neck of the woods.

1385690925389_resized.jpg
1385690856780_resized.jpg
1385690798967_resized.jpg

I think you should try and run over your camera a few more times. You almost nailed it there. I would like to point out the more obvious...dude you have a tank!!!

I was thinking the same thing . . . that it looked like a Bombardier Muskeg.
But it's much smaller. I don't think they have made muskegs for a very long time.

Neighbor made a wood hauling sled that the operator sat/stood on while pulling with one of these back in the day.

View attachment 121587
Looks like it can storm beach fronts and neighbors rock walls! I'm thinking.....I MUST HAVE ONE::-)

These are rather common around my neck of the woods.

1385690925389_resized.jpg

1385690856780_resized.jpg

1385690798967_resized.jpg

Any more pics of the middle connection point? Is the skis made of wood? Looks like wood skinned with sheet metal.
Any more information about this would be very appreciated!

Reactions: Applesister
Any more pics of the middle connection point? Is the skis made of wood? Looks like wood skinned with sheet metal.
Any more information about this would be very appreciated!
Skis are made of rough sawn lumber usually a crotch of fur or a spruce with a natural bend. The thing with these are they are 2 separate pieces that stand alone, usually joined only by a rope or chain. Will look for more pics for you.

These pics show it a little better. I have never made one as I use a Labrador style Komitik. one very nique feature is that the top portion that the logs actually sit on articulate so even when the skis turn the logs sort of stay straight. Avoids the strain on the skids through a turn. Komitik is better for hauling rounds though and is a rather easy and solid build.
1363275940469_resized.jpg
1363275754031_resized.jpg

I have never made one as I use a Labrador style Komitik.

That's a good idea too. I tend to haul more rounds than logs, so that might be a better idea.

Made one last year, may have cost a hundred bucks. Plus the hitch, works great. Buried under 3' of snow right now or I would take a pic.

The honey badger is a ppt passé partout. It's a Canadian company that was eventually bought by a company in Michigan, where mine was made.

It's from the 1980's. powered by an 18hp onan, has a bombardier snowmobile clutch, the same transmission as an Argo, the tracks are simply made from conveyor belt, all the bogie wheels are available at tractor supply. So it's pretty simple and easy to work on.

This one needs some work. I would like to restore it this summer after firewood skidding season has ended.

I would love to see more pics of the Honey Badger. Looks pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.