Video trashing EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ya can't get the pipe to turn red... can't get the stove to turn red... what a goofy design."

I love it! Especially the splits on top of the stove. Must be ballast to keep the thing anchored to the floor. They wouldn't be up there drying out a bit, now, would they? :roll:

It's them thar double walls that are keepin the dang thing from heatin the house. Don't ya know. Not the fact that the wood ain't burnin fer crap. :mad:

Looks like I'm gonna have to post a video of my englander 30nc. It heats my 2300 sq. ft. home in Michigan. I haven't used my propane furnace in years. My stove top is running at 600 right now with 3-4 small splits inside. Put that wood on my stove you gonna have a fire real quick. Lol

Thought you guys would get a kick out of it, especially the splits on top. Classic case of too stoopid to know they're stupid.

With the air control wide open all the heat is going up the chimney. Maybe he should read the manual? Nice install though, must have had it installed by someone else. Lol

How many walls ya'll got on yer Englander 30. I know my Englander only has 1 wall and would melt any stickers off in short order...unless I had REALLY crappy wood.

I'll bet he doesn't understand the secondary burn and thinks that is just a double wall top.

This isn't the first time I've heard someone describe EPA stoves as double-walled. Maybe they're referring to the side and rear heat shields. If their previous stove was a radiant-type, a convector does take some getting used to. My Quad is the first convection-type I had, and at first I was disappointed... I missed the intense radiation... until I realized how much warmer it was everywhere in the house. Convectors are sneaky heaters.

But the 30 doesn't have side heat shields. Unless you buy them extra, which it looks like he didn't. Even then they only cover the back half.

If he put is hand that close to my 30 when it is rockin he wouldn't have to worry about having fingerprints.

"No heat... no heat." But there's a naked child sitting at the table, not appearing to be suffering mightily from the cold. Prolly only 85º in there. Yup... no heat.

BrotherBart said:
But the 30 doesn't have side heat shields. Unless you buy them extra, which it looks like he didn't.

Ah, I didn't know that. My bad.

If he put is hand that close to my 30 when it is rockin he wouldn't have to worry about having fingerprints.
I'd think a stove that big, if the wood is truly seasoned, would be putting plenty enough heat up the chimney to have draft not be a problem, no?

Maybe he had one of those old sheetmetal type stoves. I had a coal/wood combo potbelly that was cast iron front, back, top and bottom but sheet metal sides. It was no problem picking it up and moving it around by myself. No problem at all getting the sides and the pipe as red as you wanted either. I was a little shocked when I got my Englander, that it didn't produce that same instant heat as the old stove, but then realized it takes a little while to get all that mass saturated with heat.

Maybe he should have spent less time learning how to make videos for youtube and a little more time learning how to use them "double wall EPA crap stoves".

Maybe he jus needs to join the forum :) I mean that's what I did

Maybe he works for vogelzang? He's pulling a roose. Lol

CodyWayne718 said:
Maybe he jus needs to join the forum :) I mean that's what I did

Great point. there are likely many "lost souls" out there who could benefit from the wealth of knowledge and experience found here. perhaps they should include a Hearth.com link in all the stove manuals....

wkpoor said:
I'll bet he doesn't understand the secondary burn and thinks that is just a double wall top.

I bet his old stove was a Nashua. :lol:

the local hardware store should have red high heat engine paint. and whyle he is theyre he should pick up some of them theyre bundles of wood. just hope he pulls of the plastic before he sits it on the stove top.

oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:

What's your point?

WK is getting ready to try the EPA stove he has had in storage for three years. And I think he is gonna think it ain't as good as his Nashua is my point.

BrotherBart said:
oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:

What's your point?

WK is getting ready to try the EPA stove he has had in storage for three years. And I think he is gonna think it ain't as good as his Nashua is my point.
I dont think it will be, sounds like it is a runt, my summit does not put out the heat the Nashua did, just went through 30 below south wind weather and it confirmed it, it is a nice stove and puts out a lot of heat on a small amount of wood but it lacks the punch of the old stove.

I think the color of the stoves glass tells the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.