Viesmann

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does your nameplate say Viessmann or a CZ mfg? Have you received it yet? How big?

That's exciting. Zenon used to sell a CZ brand or two. Atmos maybe? Remember what somebody said about changing the controller fuse in those Euro units.

viessman. its a cz reseller. 25kw. No I haven't gotten it yet. I just paid on TU of this week. So I expect it in a 3 weeks

What controller fuse??

Here's the quote from Rob Reinhart talking about the BioMax.

"One other problem I came across was I blew the 2A fuse in the back of the control which shut everything down except of course the fire. I had a slight overheat, but fortunately we found it quickly. The draft blower is rated at 1.4 amps and I couldn’t find the primary rating but a 2 amp fuse seemed too small. I asked Zenon and he told me 2A was good for the 230V electric in Europe. Over here it should be a 4A fuse. So if yours is 2A still you may want to change it."

But that does raise the question about whether your blower is going to be 110 or 220.

It will be interesting to compare your results with nofossil, since he has the EKO 25. You guys may understand what each other is saying, even if the rest of us don't.

It will be great to have a rare Viessmann in our growing collection of gasifiers on this site.

I shy away from alot of plumping and heat exchange work, but electronics is in my wheelhouse. I don't expect the controller itself to stay stock for long. if I have to work around a fuse or two it could put me back a day, but I'll work it over eventually.

Chicks from ALL countries can be beautifully engineered. . .well, all EXCEPT those from WalMart!

Seriously though, I'd trade a German chick for a Vitolig anyday, but not a Swedish

After seeing that some of the other Vitolig units are rebadged Windhagers I checked out this site:

Windhager UK

The HMX is basically a Vitolig 200

Some neat stuff. I like the combined range/boiler too. Natural draft, not a ton of BTUs in the boiler but a cool multi-tasker.

I'm wondering if you could import from them?

Edit:

The Vitolig 150 is an Orlan according to the German 'Boiler Room' forum

Der Vitolig 150 ist nämlich ein Orlan von Firma Eko-Vimar Orlanski aus Polen.

The design guide on the UK Windhager site has prices, which for a moment I thought they were reasonable until I realized they were in english pounds rather than euros. Ouch!

I was shocked at the current exchange rate for Euros--yikes--something like .65 $ per E. Last time I was in Europe, they were at par, and I thought that sucked.

You're amazing, Burn-1. Good to see the Germans are as nuts as us when it comes to obsessing on their wood heat.

I like the refrigerator styling on the 200 and the HMX. Have a Becks while I'm waiting for the boiler to get up to temp and maybe chat up Jimbo's girlfriend while I'm there, just to make the trip to the boiler room complete.

You ain't chattin up the Swede, no way no how. The German GF or for that matter, any other make or model you can chat up to your heart's content. Just have her bring me a Brewski too ;-)

Oh, BTW, you think I'm an obstinate prick now, wait till someone here gets a Vitolig200 before I do :coolmad:

buck1200 said:
The design guide on the UK Windhager site has prices, which for a moment I thought they were reasonable until I realized they were in english pounds rather than euros. Ouch!

Yeah and that's exclusive of VAT too. On the plus side if there is one, it appears that the ~8,850 sterling for the basic HMX includes an indirect DHW tank, a buffer tank, system controls but still that would suggest the boiler alone is probably close to $10K and those prices listed are as of 2006.

LOL, you cheap bass turds, my oil boiler and DHW tank cost that much three years ago. Did you think you were gonna buy this stuff off the back of a truck in an alley someplace in Jersey?!??

Looking back on this thread. Heaterman was pretty much dead on with what a Viessmann solid fuel setup would cost over here.

...From what I understand the Vitolig 300 would sell for over $10K here..........maybe they’re right............add installation and the automatic fuel storage hopper to that and you’d soon be crowding $18-20K...

I know, I know... I keep having to remind myself of what I'm willing to spend on a car when I think about buying this kind of equipment. I forget who here said it first, but the best place to keep your energy is in the wood, and as such I find myself extremely curious about this 'modulating' firing rate business which the Austrians and Germans seem to be selling.

Since it requires servo motors, oxygen sensors, and little genies to keep that fire on the hairy edge of clean combustion and low output, I guess we have to expect that the cost is going to quite a bit different than what we're used to seeing here. I just wish I could actually see one work!

I new to hydronic heating I have a question about the viton 150 wall mount is this a hydronic type of heater? If so this seems like are really small package for a system compared to whats in my house.

The car will cost more, pollute more, and be worthless in a few years.

On the upside, the car may help you pick up chicks. . .but if you can find one that comes home and oggles that $18k boiler setup . . .KEEP HER!!! You can always hitchhike :coolsmile:

Burn-1 said:
buck1200 said:

Yeah and that's exclusive of VAT too. On the plus side if there is one, it appears that the ~8,850 sterling for the basic HMX includes an indirect DHW tank, a buffer tank, system controls but still that would suggest the boiler alone is probably close to $10K and those prices listed are as of 2006.

This CZ dealer doesn't think that HMX = Viessmann for solid fueled boilers. I also looked over the HMX and she talked me out of it. She did use as much fact as she used terms like "trust me Viessman is not anything like HMX" And, "Viessmann is like Rolls, but in CZ I cannot sell many Rolls Royce"

Really quite funny in her accent. I just took her at that. I told her this particular model viessmann smacked of the EKO. I will rexplore this more, then back check in.

I really did have my heart set on the 200. Maybe I'll go back to it.

Eric Johnson said:
I was shocked at the current exchange rate for Euros--yikes--something like .65 $ per E. Last time I was in Europe, they were at par, and I thought that sucked.

You're amazing, Burn-1. Good to see the Germans are as nuts as us when it comes to obsessing on their wood heat.

I like the refrigerator styling on the 200 and the HMX. Have a Becks while I'm waiting for the boiler to get up to temp and maybe chat up Jimbo's girlfriend while I'm there, just to make the trip to the boiler room complete.

Hehe, I will leave Jimbo's girl out of this, but I have money is RMB or chinese currency for exactly the reason that I would be paying 1.5X normal for european costs. Most analysts beleive the dollar with stay real low most of the year. So by next heating season we could bridge the gap some, but I am not counting/ waiting on curex rates to change to make my moves.

So does this presume that you would have the ability to get an HMX (Vitolig 200) over here if you wanted? Would your local Viessman office support the install?

I don't know why I'm barking up this tree... can't afford it anyway.

Buck I cannot confirm the hmx is the 200. I was told otherwise. However, I can get a viessman 150, which really reminds me of the EKO. But I wanted the 200.

Viesmann in Indy halfway is supporting me. They won't do an install(I didn't wantem to), but they say they can help with parts. And, the guy in Indy has encouraged and helped. It is why I followed the path to where I am now.

I will write more soon on what viessmann in Indy told me. I don't have the time as of yet.

ABGWD4U said:
Buck I cannot confirm the hmx is the 200. I was told otherwise. However, I can get a viessman 150, which really reminds me of the EKO.

Convergent evolution is always possible, and the HMX is a masterful copy if not a Viessmann. Corporations routinely spread out their products along a similar platform. Compare a Lincoln LS to the Jaguar S class of recent years or a Mercury Mariner/Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, or Explorer/Mountaineer. It's the same basic product but the firms can sell to more customers and not dilute either brand too much. Viessmann merits the premium price, some are happy to get most of the technology with a different name.

That said there may be some control differences and the literature I looked at notes the basic HMX modulates from 11-40 kw whereas the Vitolig 200 goes from 13-40 kw so maybe a few other minor variations but you might inquire more when you get the chance.

Attachments

• vitolig 200.jpg
    vitolig 200.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,586
  • HMX.jpg
    HMX.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 811
Burn-1 said:
ABGWD4U said:
Buck I cannot confirm the hmx is the 200. I was told otherwise. However, I can get a viessman 150, which really reminds me of the EKO.

Convergent evolution is always possible, and the HMX is a masterful copy if not a Viessmann. Corporations routinely spread out their products along a similar platform. Compare a Lincoln LS to the Jaguar S class of recent years or a Mercury Mariner/Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, or Explorer/Mountaineer. It's the same basic product but the firms can sell to more customers and not dilute either brand too much. Viessmann merits the premium price, some are happy to get most of the technology with a different name.

That said there may be some control differences and the literature I looked at notes the basic HMX modulates from 11-40 kw whereas the Vitolig 200 goes from 13-40 kw so maybe a few other minor variations but you might inquire more when you get the chance.

I don't disagree. You can be sure that I will explore the finer details of what the CZ dealer thinks the difference is.

Hmmm... Our German friends suggest there are differences. It is pretty fun to read through some of these pages with the Google Translation Tools.

Apparently there are differences between Vitolig 200 and HMX.

I wonder what the shipping is like from Austrian Ebay? Prices shown suggest the Vitolig 200 at around $11K.

Alright, Burn-1--I'm making you the official liaison to our German friends on their website.

Wonder if they're lurking around here trying to translate us. Klaus? Dieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.