Viesmann

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean... what governs the importation of a boiler? We're not yet subject to specific emissions regulations for boilers, so I cannot imagine the EPA would have a say. And I wonder if you got a couple of people to take delivery at the same time if you could get a pretty big break on the shipping... Service would always be the biggest issue, I suppose.

Just thinking out loud. Now on to the "modulation" thread.

It would be the definition of irony if they came to a us site to look at a german boiler.

I am lumped in with a client on a shipping container they rent. So I have low cost shipping, but I am not above stealing room on the shipping container for a hearth.com forum member.

$400 from CZ to Indiana doorstep. How can you beat that??

Wow! Can't beat that.

Were there any other hoops you had to jump through: Customs? Duties? Esoteric laws restricting the personal importation of wood burning equipment from eastern european countries?

$400 shipping is FREE. I wonder what Viessmann US would do if a person imported 20 of those things. How could they not help out w/ service?

So we are all on the same page. In no way does viessmann know what I am doing. 2. they won't officially support viessmann in the US at all. They just game me a wink. So I guess its unofficial, but I don't think importing is what they had in mind make reference to earlier parts of this post.

Boiler imports...........or the lack thereof.

The main impediments to all these lip licking, good looking boilers being available here are UL listing, ASME rating and the Euro's well placed fear of our tort laws here in the US. In addition, many of the manufacturers don't feel that there is enough demand for this type product here...........yet. Next fall when fuel oil is sitting at about $4/gallon and LP is $3+ they may hear enough noise over here to rethink their position.

If you're thinking of importing one of these you should be aware that standard current on European products is 220V 50 cycle as opposed to our standard of 110V 60 cycle. In other words, it's not going to be "plug and play" as the good Germans at the big V are fond of saying. Viessmann uses a special transformer on their Vitodens wall hung gas boiler to avoid having to completely redesign the whole control on that boiler

Heaterman you hit the nail on the head. It was posted earlier, but the reason we don't see them floating over here is because of the listings and ratings Viess choose not to partake in.

I don't know how I will approach the power issure. It really depends what it does on the other side of the "power supply" actually inside the boiler.
Usually I like to stay out of the OEM power supply and its constituent parts, but I have the electical equipment laying around to address the problem from the inside or outside. Thanks for the heads up. Now I just need the boiler.

Ditto the nail on the head observation. And thanks for the simple explanation of modulation in the other thread. I think ABG mentioned some important qualifications to your simple analogy, but it will be the basis for my thought on the subject for now on. Thanks.

Bill, I'm not sure what you mean by "inside" the boiler. The only connection the electrical components (controller and blower) on the EKO have with the rest of the boiler is a heat sensor that sits on the top of the pressure vessel under the insulation. If the controller and blower are 230, 50 cycle then that's the only issue that needs to be addressed. That's assuming that the Vitolig 150 is simply a rebranded EKO 25 or something very similar.

And it's none of my business, but you can get an EKO 25 with free delivery for less than $5,000, and that comes with a 5-year warranty, 120v electronics and tech support just a phone call away. So I can only assume that you're getting a whale of a bargain on the Veissmann, or you like the challenge of being a pioneer. Hats off to you either way.

Eric

Bill, I’m not sure what you mean by “inside” the boiler. The only connection the electrical components (controller and blower) on the EKO have with the rest of the boiler is a heat sensor that sits on the top of the pressure vessel under the insulation. If the controller and blower are 230, 50 cycle then that’s the only issue that needs to be addressed. That’s assuming that the Vitolig 150 is simply a rebranded EKO 25 or something very similar.

120 V @ 60 cycle and 220 @ 50 are both worthless to a boiler. The AC is turned to DC as soon as it comes into the boiler. Usually I would do a step up to 220 @ 50 by putting electronics in front of the boiler so it thinks its in Germany. If that is too complicated or expensive I rip out the euro DC crap and put in USA conversion stuff. It depends on what the innards of the boiler demand really. Most I have seen have very modest requirments, so ripping out the euro stuff for later use else where can be more apealing than it sounds.

And it’s none of my business, but you can get an EKO 25 with free delivery for less than $5,000, and that comes with a 5-year warranty, 120v electronics and tech support just a phone call away. So I can only assume that you’re getting a whale of a bargain on the Veissmann, or you like the challenge of being a pioneer. Hats off to you either way.

I want your feed back so I have officially made it your business.

I think it was a couple things. 1 I think the vito 150 was a good deal at 4000 shipping included. Which is exactly what Zenon quoted me on 1-15. for an EKO 25 ship also included. I put a stop on the vito 150 because it doesn't modulate. I had the dealer check to make sure. And, I also confirmed.

I actually think the modulation is the real difference. If it is true modulation it could take some of the edge off of the requirements of hot thermal storage.
The place where this being installed is in a city. If you put a 4000 gal tank of hot water and "antibacterial agents" in a homemade bin you could attract the wrong kind of attention. Keep in mind I still plan on doing it.

I have been led to believe that the tech support from the Viess is not long off and not something I should not worry about. (famous last words). Keep in mind one of their major US distribution centers is very close by. And, I have found they are knowlegable and excited about the products overseas. They have me convinced they can help if trouble arises.

I am not dismissing the EKO line of products. I have until next winter to actually put this at the new house. Ironnically it will likely be the last thing I get. I may end up with an EKO just because so many here are pleased with their performance. Why go elsewhere.

Until I get more info from the CZ dealer. I really don't know. I will keep you in the loop.

Radio Shack has a 400 watt, 120V 60 cycle to 230V 50Hz inverters for around 80 bucks. Nothing special about the Vitoden power pack, really. Except the price tag :)

hr

Are you sure this is an issue, many electrics nowadays automatically come so that they can operate on US, UK and European voltages.

Are you sure this is an issue, many electrics nowadays automatically come so that they can operate on US, UK and European voltages.

No I am not sure. I am sure no one else here is either, but we are planning for the worst -- as wood burners its probably in our nature.

Radio Shack has a 400 watt, 120V 60 cycle to 230V 50Hz inverters for around 80 bucks
converters are funny pieces of equipment. I given so much thought to all the controllers, pumps, boiler, and all the little parts. I have to look at the converter possibly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.