Vigilant auto thermostat replacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturla Snorrison

Nov 12, 2014
VT
www.vtgoatmilksoap.com
So I just picked up a very good to fine condition 1977model Vigilant for a pretty darn good price but I need to replace the auto thermostat. I got the right part ( I live in Vermont and the Montpelier Stove Shop was right on my way home from picking up the stove so I stopped to get the part), and I see how to get it apart and reinstalled. EXCEPT for one thing. I am not sure of the proper position of the handle/expansion ring in relationship to the position of the auto damper. It would seem to me that at room temperature the handle should be in a position that holds to damper open fairly wide.

Anyway- anybody feel like explaining or posting some pics or links so I can get this installed properly.

Thanks for any help.

You want the flap to be wide open almost to a 90 degree angle when cold. From there you will have to get the stove to operating temperature and adjust the flap to your desired heat output. I strongly suggest getting a stove top thermometer. These older VC stoves get hot fairly quickly. The thermometer will tell you what temp you're looking for and you can close, or almost close the flap at that point. It will then close anytime the stove gets to that temp in the future. Hope that helps.

Yes but I am wondering how to potion the handle/expander spring. If you look at the pictures I tried to attach you can see that when the handle is parallel to plumb (approximately) the spot where the chain attaches to the expander piece is in a different position than when the handle is perpendicular to plumb. I get that at room temp I want the vent wide open and when the stove surface temp gets to 500ish I want it closed down, but should the handle be perpendicular to plumb or should it be parallel to plumb when the vent is opened up (room temp)?

That make any sense as far as communicating what I am trying to figure out?

THanks, hopefully the pics upload and will help:
100_8735.JPG
100_8736.JPG
100_8735.JPG 100_8736.JPG 100_8735.JPG 100_8736.JPG 100_8737.JPG 100_8738.JPG

Thread it into your stove, then hook it up to the flap. Then you can set it to wide open when cold.

On mine, the handle is straight up twelve o'clock with the flap open all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.