1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vigilant oval adapter

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by Grant Sanders, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Grant Sanders

Grant Sanders New Member

Loc:
    Nantucket, MA
    I just bought a used Vigilant. It's a beauty and I paid $295. I have a spot in my kitchen where a wood stove was before we moved in. It has a brick pad and five foot high brick backsplash (I know I'm using the wrong word here, but you get the idea) plus a free-standing 8-inch square lined chimney that exits the roof and extends another 6 feet.

I want to order the correct adapter to connect the 8-inch oval opening at the top of my circa 1980 Vigilant stove to the 8-inch opening I have in mychimney, I'm not in my kitchen right now, otherwise I would post pictures. The largest adapter I can find online is this one:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/heat-fab...al-to-round-adapter/p651686?source=igodigital

[​IMG]
    With an oval opening of 9-3/4 x 5-3/8. But the opening of my stove is greater than that. The outside edge is at least 11 inches by 5-3/4 inches. I went by a stove store near where I work and they happened to have my very stove model on the porch in front of their store. The sales guy says the owner of the store took an ordinary 8-inch round pipe and compressed one end to fit. It looks bad. But it seems to do the trick.

I'm just wondering what you would do in my place (and don't say "get a new stove." That's not in the cards until some real money comes in the door and my son stops running up tuition bills.)

I want to fire this thing up. I'm paying $250 every two weeks for propane!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    We ALWAYS used that Heat Fab oval-to-round adapter for the VC models. Unless you have a real oddball, that should be the right one...
  3. Grant Sanders

Grant Sanders New Member

Loc:
    Nantucket, MA
    DAKSY, thanks! It's hard living on an island sometimes. Can't just run out and exchange an adapter at the local stove store because it's 32 miles and a boat trip away. Glad to have the confirmation.

G.
    DAKSY likes this.
  4. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    But you can always go to woodmanspartsplus.com and find what you need. Or talk to ybbob and tell him to contact his brother in law, the Stoveman.
  5. Grant Sanders

Grant Sanders New Member

Loc:
    Nantucket, MA
    Wait. You know Ybbob???

Small world.
  6. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Yup. But I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
    Grant Sanders likes this.