Vigilant oval adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used Vigilant. It's a beauty and I paid $295. I have a spot in my kitchen where a wood stove was before we moved in. It has a brick pad and five foot high brick backsplash (I know I'm using the wrong word here, but you get the idea) plus a free-standing 8-inch square lined chimney that exits the roof and extends another 6 feet.

I want to order the correct adapter to connect the 8-inch oval opening at the top of my circa 1980 Vigilant stove to the 8-inch opening I have in mychimney, I'm not in my kitchen right now, otherwise I would post pictures. The largest adapter I can find online is this one:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/heat-fab...al-to-round-adapter/p651686?source=igodigital

2858ovs.gif

With an oval opening of 9-3/4 x 5-3/8. But the opening of my stove is greater than that. The outside edge is at least 11 inches by 5-3/4 inches. I went by a stove store near where I work and they happened to have my very stove model on the porch in front of their store. The sales guy says the owner of the store took an ordinary 8-inch round pipe and compressed one end to fit. It looks bad. But it seems to do the trick.

I'm just wondering what you would do in my place (and don't say "get a new stove." That's not in the cards until some real money comes in the door and my son stops running up tuition bills.)

I want to fire this thing up. I'm paying $250 every two weeks for propane!

We ALWAYS used that Heat Fab oval-to-round adapter for the VC models. Unless you have a real oddball, that should be the right one...

But you can always go to woodmanspartsplus.com and find what you need. Or talk to ybbob and tell him to contact his brother in law, the Stoveman.

Status
Not open for further replies.