1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Vigilant Questions

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by 1RadCJ, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 1RadCJ

1RadCJ Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    Hi there team. I have a few questions about my Vigilant that I need to do some minor overhauling to.

1) The back casting is stamped 1977 does that make it a Vigilant 1 or 2? I have the Vigilant 2 rebuild manual from the manual section of the site, but if its a Vigilant 1 could I get a copy of that rebuild manual?

2) This stove has a grey enamel finish. Has anyone figured out how to a VC stove re-enameled? I'd love to get the finish redone to make the stove look new again.

Thanks for the help and keep warm!
    Andy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Easy way to tell Vig. 1 from 2: Look at the hole on the left side of the stove, the one that has a little teardrop cover. If it's round, you got a 1. If it's egg-shaped, it's a 2!! Easy!!

Only way to refinish is by sandblasting off the enamel, then paint. You'll then have a black stove, but ti'll look new.
  3. 1RadCJ

1RadCJ Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help. To bad I can't get it re painted but it will likely be the cellar stove anyhow.