Vigilante pellet testing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
First year and burning Maine Choice in my Quad Castile seems to be running good (how would a novice know)
After reading the reports for OKANAGON pellets and Tjakemans's testing I decided to buy 4 bags to try for myself.
Not wanting to introduce a new pellet in my stove overnight I told my wife that I wanted to be able to watch the stove run with the new Okies in case I need to adjust the fuel rate etc.
So today Sunday I am going to force myself to sit by the fire all day long and be vigilante. Thank God. I hear there will be football to watch all day long while testing for the family ;-)

P.S. BTU I am still scratching my head over your spreadsheet

Ahh' Nothing better than Pellets, Football and relaxing on a Sunday. Add a few beers to it and its a topper. Can't wait to hear what you think of them.

Stay warm
jay

Game starts in 5 minutes. Ready to go.

Regarding vigilante testing, I have tested 3 different brands the last 3 days. Since I have 3 tons of Ligs, I will compare to them. A few days ago I posted on Big Heat but the thread didn't have legs. At any rate I was pleasantly surprised at the output of heat from this softwood, very close to the Ligs. I also tested the bag of Okanagan I had, and have tried a few bags previously. I rate them a little better than the ligs.

Finally, yesterday I burned Dragon Mountain and they appeared to burn very hot. In my opinion, not scientific at all mind you, these were much better that the Okanagans and Ligs. So far the best pellet I have burned!

Jay I wanted to comment on my trying some Okanagans in my Quad Castile.
First they were shorter in length than my normal Maine Choice, and had more fines in the bag.
They burnt great in my Castile I don't know how to explain it, but the fire just seemed more controlled and constant.
I was pleasantly surprised at the low ash and although I didn't do an exact measurement of the ash it was obvious it was a lot less.

Waiting for the next really cold spell as I have two bags of Barefoots to try.

I did the same thing when I tried the Marths and Barefoots.
Marth was impressive over the NEWP's I was burning.
Barefoots SCARED the heck out of me. Super Hot!!!
@ $6.50 a bag though can't afford to burn them so it looks like Marth it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.