Vintage Cast Iron Surround & Summer Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I bet there's a couple of factory doodads that go in the slot and then turn (securing a notch in the doodad) and then spring into place to hold that beautiful cover on.
I am. Pretty sure there was an entire insert behind that face that is now gone. They typically have tabs that support the face. Something like this.

Screenshot_20221105-115919.png

Reactions: Newbie78
Wow! Those are beautiful things!

were those all one-of-a-kind?

I'm sure the factory would tell you each one is special and was made with love.

Reactions: bholler
Easy on the eyes for sure....I love old/older things. I collect cast iron pans and Dutch Ovens. I think I like the mantel the most......WOW!

I think the top of the summer cover slides into the fireplace on an angle and should be taller than the surrounding frame so when you push the bottom backwards the sides will be go back to touch the tabs on the sides. It can’t fall forward because the top is taller than the opening so the frame hold it up, and the side tabs keep it from falling backward into the fireplace.
See this video:

Reactions: fbelec and begreen