VINTAGE TERRA-COTTA FIREPLACE FOR POTTING SHED?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Erios

Jun 15, 2019
Poconos, PA
Hi there,

I would like to clean out my potting shed and use it in winter as a place to stay, do yoga, relax and just get some private time away from the family.

The space is uninsulated and is 17’x 10.5’x14’high.

There is a loft space so the total square footage is around 275 SF. I would like to put this vintage terra-cotta fireplace in the space. I think it’s so beautiful but I don’t want the heat output to be super overkill.

The fireplace is 31”w x 21”d x 38” h

The firebox on the fireplace 21.5”w x 15”d x 14.5” h

What do you think? Will the terra-cotta fireplace be ok in that space?

Any other considerations I should think about?

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Evette

Attachments

• 32A31C8C-333A-450D-A537-04A74284D180.jpeg
    32A31C8C-333A-450D-A537-04A74284D180.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 243
Hi there,

I would like to clean out my potting shed and use it in winter as a place to stay, do yoga, relax and just get some private time away from the family.

There is a loft space so the total square footage is around 275 SF. I would like to put this vintage terra-cotta fireplace in the space. I think it’s so beautiful but I don’t want the heat output to be super overkill.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Evette
The heat output will not be Overkill. It may not be enough.

I doubt it would heat the place up fast enough. What kind of clearances does that require?

Hi there,

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Evette

Yay for you! A "she-shed" is on my bucket list too!
I'm also in PA and I fear an uninsulated shed will be too cold for much relaxing....even with the heat source.
You might consider some type of insulation to tack up between wall supports and up in the ceiling...even the stuff I made my window quilts from would help. (I don't know how to link old posts to new ones---just search for 'window quilts' and my thread should pop up.)
I've never seen/had any experience with terra-cotta burners so I can't really help you with that decision...but take a peek at some wee camping stoves that
the hunters use in their canvas tents and make a comparison. The terra-cotta is beautiful but, with a space as roomy as that, you really want it to throw heat.

Be sure to take before/after pictures!! I'm so excited for you!!

Your going to lose more heat up the chimney than the fireplace will provide to the space.