Virgin Burn; New Stove Stink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
Got my Mt. Vernon insert installed today. As I'm writing this I'm experiencing the "virgin burn" amd "new stove stink". The installer told me I can let it run a bit to get the paint baked in, so I am. Here's a pic:

.__360_480_IMG_0374.JPG

I wish I had opened more doors & windows. I started getting a headache after a while. I burned it for about an hour later in the exening too, but it didn;t smell, so I guess I'm good to go.

My supplier/installer burned my stoves off before delivering them so there was no stink. Just bear with it now and give the wife some money to go shopping while it smokes. :lol:

tjnamtiw said:
My supplier/installer burned my stoves off before delivering them so there was no stink. Just bear with it now and give the wife some money to go shopping while it smokes. :lol:

After I bought my stove, the Dealer Burned mine for well over an hour. asked if I wanted it cleaned and the pellets emptied. but I opted not too. Made the stove look used when I got it home. But I knew it worked. Also give you a quick run-down of the stove. But quads are about as easy as they come.

My dealer pre-burns every stove...

I bought my stove over the net, In mid February. I was in such a hurry to get it hooked up and get the house warm. I didn't do a preburn. What a chemical stink it made in the whole house. Eyes burned and the whole nine yards. Opened the windows and threw in a box fan to help air the house out. Good thing the wife and kid were at work/school. Smell lingered for days and every time I went a heat range higher the smell came back for a bit.

You can bet your fanny I'll preburn every stove I get from now on! Never again!!! :ahhh: :sick:

j-takeman said:
I bought my stove over the net, In mid February. I was in such a hurry to get it hooked up and get the house warm. I didn't do a preburn. What a chemical stink it made in the whole house. Eyes burned and the whole nine yards. Opened the windows and threw in a box fan to help air the house out. Good thing the wife and kid were at work/school. Smell lingered for days and every time I went a heat range higher the smell came back for a bit.

You can bet your fanny I'll preburn every stove I get from now on! Never again!!! :ahhh: :sick:

I hear ya! Mine wasn't that bad, but after 30 minutes or so I stayed in a back bedroom because I was getting a headache.....

I'm not sure if my dealer does preburns, but I know mine got installed as soon as it came from Quad, so I'm not sure if either they had the time or they just wanted to get it out the door. I ordered early July.

Status
Not open for further replies.